LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

freed up a hydrolocked motor BUT....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM

freed up a hydrolocked motor BUT....

long story short.. i need a little input. picked up an SS dirt cheap(1100$) body is mint just a tick over 100k. saved it from crusher. i bought it knowing it was hydrolocked. ive had great luck freeing up hydrolocked motors.this seemed to go smooth like the others. i pulled plugs and she wouldn't turn over by hand. poured marvel myst oil in all the cylinders, let it sit and tried to turn over.. nothing(normal),poured in a lil more,let it sit.... same outcome. third time is usually the charm for me. poured in again... let it sit gor a few days, went out and she turmed by hand. 5 full rotations. put in the key cranked her over and let her spin... she spun for about ten secs then made a grinding noise. i cut it, put the bar back on and tried to turn it. no good. i turned it counter clockwise for half a rotation then went clockwise again and got 10 full rotations again so i jumped in and spun the key.. same thing. spun free for like 8 secs and a grinding noise sgain.. could it be the flywheel? maybe prev owner tried cranking and chewed teeth off? working on my back for now.. no access to a lift. any thoughts???
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Re: freed up a hydrolocked motor BUT....

As you are at a point where it is grinding, unhook the battery, unbolt the starter, and just move it enough to look at the ring gear teeth, only 2 bolts holding the starter on
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Usually hydro locking a motor causes things inside the motor to break. Just getting it to spin again dopiest mean much. They usually break rods and pistons or even the crank because they try to compress liquid water, which is impossible.

-Geoff
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 PM

excessive cranking is what usually breaks things. most motors cut out before damage is done. learned this from 4x4 guys who drove through huge puddles and across rivers when i hung with them. but ya never know. person before me could have cranked the **** out of it. she doesn't sound like a shaken jar of pennies when she turns... but i asked lol, what do u think it could be ? being it turns freely for a little bit before it grinds.