LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:38 PM

engine questions

I had my knock sensors replaced on my 99 z28 due to check engine light. Both replaced and new wiring harness installed. But now the check engine comes back on while driving at 65 mph. I had the car hooked up at my mechanic. Its giving me a code PO332. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a new location from after market? Cause my mechanic has said after the diagnostic its saying the computer can't see the second knock sensor. It runs fine. Just looking for some help. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Re: engine questions

Did you check the continuity of the circuit back to the PCM?
Old 05-25-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Did you check the continuity of the circuit back to the PCM?
Ok. Thanks. Could it be a loose connection to the pcm?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Administrator

I looked up the code in the 99 factory manual. The code description indicates that the PCM looks at the max and min voltage (a function of the frequency of the signal) coming back from the knock sensor, and sets the codes if it sees values that are outside the "normal" values.

The kicker here is that the code description indicates that "the PCM learns the minimum and maximum frequency of the noise the engine produces." I wonder if changing the sensor requires some sort of "relearn" procedure or period of operation?

To check the sensor itself, unplug the connector behind the intake manifold, and measure the resistance of the sensor from the single wire (+) to a good engine ground (-). Resistance should be in the range of 93kOhm - 107kOhm. Rear knock sensor has a light blue wire, front knock sensor has a dark blue wire.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I looked up the code in the 99 factory manual. The code description indicates that the PCM looks at the max and min voltage (a function of the frequency of the signal) coming back from the knock sensor, and sets the codes if it sees values that are outside the "normal" values.

The kicker here is that the code description indicates that "the PCM learns the minimum and maximum frequency of the noise the engine produces." I wonder if changing the sensor requires some sort of "relearn" procedure or period of operation?

To check the sensor itself, unplug the connector behind the intake manifold, and measure the resistance of the sensor from the single wire (+) to a good engine ground (-). Resistance should be in the range of 93kOhm - 107kOhm. Rear knock sensor has a light blue wire, front knock sensor has a dark blue wire.
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.