Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LS1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Engine noise that goes away

I have a '01 Z28 with 5.7L Ls1 132,000 miles. I've only had this car about 3 weeks but only mods that im aware of are headers, slp ram air intake and the stock thermostat was replaced with a 160 degree one. Check engine light comes on and only code indicates secondary air injection sytem malfunction. Apparently the air pump has been completely disconnected and removed which is what is causing the light to come on. I've been told I can have the chip re-tuned so that this doesn't happen which I may do sometime but for now that isnt my biggest issue. When I first start the car there is a pecking noise that is very noticeable but goes away after awhile. After a google search and reading about some other ppls experience my best guess is piston slap. The only symptoms I notice that are different in my situation vs others with piston slap is that they seem to indicate that the noise goes away rather quickly, like after a min or 2 of warming up whereas mine takes a bit longer. After first start up of the day I can drive about 1.5 miles down the road to the gas station and still hear the pecking if I roll down the windows or open the door, but then if I drive another cpl miles and stop the sound is completely gone. Any ideas of what this might be? If it is piston slap what if anything can be done about it? I just joined this forum and this is my first post, any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Marty0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

Re: Engine noise that goes away

Better hope it is piston slap, because the alternative is either valvetrain or rod knock.

-Geoff
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

Re: Engine noise that goes away

If it were a rod knocking wouldnt I be able to hear it all the time rather than only the first few mins after starting?
Marty0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Reply Post New Thread

Tags
engine noise, ls1, piston slap