LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Deep Cryogenic tempering????

Old 03-28-2003, 04:15 PM

Deep Cryogenic tempering????

Sounds like Star Trek huh??

Well, during my rebuild, my mechanic originally got a good deal on some Wiseco ceramic coated flattop pistons, but on a gut instinct he didn't order them and called his buddy that works in Nevada (i want to say he said he worked at EUM or UEM or something like that) and his buddy is sending him some Keith Black deep cryogenically tempered nitrous pistons.

I'm assuming that's good stuff, cuz he was awfully excited, and I'm having some trouble finding some good info on the web about the process....just that it enhances the life and durability of the piston. Anyone have any experience or info about these pistons that will be going into my car?

KASR
Old 03-29-2003, 02:54 AM

There's a company at http://www.300below.com which does just this. It will strengthen the metal and make it more durable and stronger. Keep in mind that it will change the size of the metal slightly. I don't think the change will be enough to make a difference but it will be stronger if the tempering is done correctly.

The process involves dropping it down a few hundred degrees below 0 and then slowly increasing the temperature bit by bit.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:51 PM

more porformance in charlotte will do basically anything
Old 04-07-2003, 09:31 PM

Thumbs up

I had my rearend gears changed from 3.23's to 373's (A4) about a year ago, and the shop performing the work strongly suggested getting the gears cryogenically tempered. They sent them out locally for $50, and the reasons they gave were exactally what "norcalstreet" is referencing with the sight he posts.

Basically the shop said it would stregthen the gears, and remove any remaining impurities in the mild steel.

Some people in the group I am in, think I am crazy, or got ripped off by having this done, however I talked to a few gearhead machinest's at work who have also collaberated (sp) this theory.

IT CAN ONLY HELP.

SteveC