LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

99 T/A - sitting for a couple years with an issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 AM

99 T/A - sitting for a couple years with an issue

Okay, so here is the situation:

A buddy of mine works at a shop and has informed me of a 99 T/A (loaded 6spd) that has been sitting over there for a couple years now. Apparently it came in to get some work done (HID's or something stupid like that), but the guy was arrested and basically never paid/picked up the car...as a result the car has been "procured" by my buddy. So he now has this T/A that has been sitting for quite some time.

Besides the obvious issues of a car sitting for that long (dry-rotted tires, rusted brakes, bad gas, etc...), the car also has an apparent issue with the cam/lifter(s). He claims that something has happened with one of the lifters, in that it has "worn down one of the cam lobes" and now has a funky noise. He claims that it was running before it was left to sit.

He says he will sell me the car for an unbelievably cheap price (and I might even be able to talk him down further). But I was curious if anyone has heard of any issues like this happening on the LSX series? If it truly is just an issues with the cam, I was thinking I could just get an OTS aftermarket cam (slightly larger than stock), upgraded valvetrain, and possibly a new oilpump (not sure if that is needed though), and put it all back together.

So what do you think? Being that it is a fully loaded T/A, I would think it would be nice as a DD. And given the fact that I am literally HAVING to upgrade the cam in order to get it running...it seems like it is a win-win.

Thoughts? Comments on the cam/lifter issue?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 PM

If the price is right, then I'd go for it. Those aren't the hardest things to replace and you get to upgrade while you're at it. Make sure you do all of the basic maintenance first if you do buy it, just to clear up any other underlying issues.

Good luck!

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android