LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

valve tap? Higher Octane??...read.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM

valve tap? Higher Octane??...read.

I have a 02 z-28. I used the superchips programmer and it seems at high rpms I hear the sound of valve tapping comming from the driver side. When I put in octane booster, it stops. Mind you I live in florida and use 93 octane + the octane booster. I got the car dynoed like 8 months ago and it was doing 320 to the wheels. The guy heard tapping and asked what octane I was using and I told him. He said I need to go higher with the superchips tuning?!??! Sounds like something else is going on..
All ive done to the car is intake, superchips, fully built auto, msd 8.5's and thats all I know is done to the car im the 3rd owner. Is 320 rwhp the ballpark for what Ive done? I havent yet upgraded the stall, the rear or exhaust yet. Well I have the factory Y to slp bullet loudmouth2 muffler and dump before axle. Hope to go true duals.. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Wasn't he monitoring your A/F ratio? After tuning, I run 5 pounds of boost on 93 octane with no knock. I run some 100 octane just to be safe, but it is completely unnecessary....I am just trying to keep the stocv bottom end alive for a few years with the blower....
Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Retired

It's definetly NOT detonation on 93 octane on those mods and stock compression unless the tune is COMPLETELY off and you're using bad gas. The way you can really tell is to put the car in a higher gear and lug the motor and see if it does it. What you might be hearing is bent stock pushrods or failed stock rockers, which is more common in these cars. Pop the valvecovers and take a look.

I was running nearly 13:1 on my 408 with 530rwhp with 93 octane and no detonation problems.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
It's definetly NOT detonation on 93 octane on those mods and stock compression unless the tune is COMPLETELY off and you're using bad gas. The way you can really tell is to put the car in a higher gear and lug the motor and see if it does it. What you might be hearing is bent stock pushrods or failed stock rockers, which is more common in these cars. Pop the valvecovers and take a look.

I was running nearly 13:1 on my 408 with 530rwhp with 93 octane and no detonation problems.
But he's running a canned tune. Back in the day with my car I tried a Hypertech tune while scanning for knock. Well in a 1/4 mile pass I got 4° of knock retard reducing my timing to what it was without the tune. Took the tune out and sold the tuner.

If the octane booster makes the noise go away then it's real knock. He should pull the tune and see if the problem goes away.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
But he's running a canned tune. Back in the day with my car I tried a Hypertech tune while scanning for knock. Well in a 1/4 mile pass I got 4° of knock retard reducing my timing to what it was without the tune. Took the tune out and sold the tuner.

If the octane booster makes the noise go away then it's real knock. He should pull the tune and see if the problem goes away.
Yep... like I said..

The tune would have to be WAY off.... if you were getting 4 degrees of knock retard with a HPP tune, then HPP is a piece of junk (which we all knew already ).. Maybe this Superchips tune is also a piece of crap..

Audible knock with hyperpathetic pistons =

Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeah I will get in contact with Superchips. I should have gotten a real tune but I didn't. I hope to add a few more noticable mods like headers, cam, maybe ported ls6 heads and full exhaust then get a good tune. So far the only thing I like about the superchips is the shift points and pressure. I have a fully built A4 with transgo shift kit, carbon fiber bands, etc. I got the shift pressure at 10psi above stock. Its cool to chirp the 10.5 wide z06 wheels =P. Does the 320 to the wheels sound about right with the couple of mods I did? That was with the valve knock.. think i could have gotten more if that was fixeD?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Just test it by removing the tune. Superchips is handheld so it shouldn't be difficult.

Won't increasing the trans pressure too much cause extra heat and a shorter trans life?