LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Help, trying to decide what mod to do next.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 AM

Help, trying to decide what mod to do next.

So i have a 2002 z28 6-speed, currently it has a K&N intake, high performance muffler and a super chip tune. I have about 500.00 to spend on my next mod. My goal eventually is to have a daily driver that can put down 400rwhp. I have been considering throttle body or aftermarket MAF? But Im annoyed that there are no estimates on the power gains. Bottom line looking for the most bang for the buck, and currently not considering NOS. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM

Re: Help, trying to decide what mod to do next.

I would do some headers - unless you have an emissions requirement out there. That is some pretty good bang for the buck. Changing to a 4.11 gear would really make it quick, but it would hurt you in the mileage department. Still - a lot of people daily drive with that gear. If you do the work yourself, you could do a mild cam. That would be pushing your budget though and you might need a tune.

The other stuff you are talking about don't give you as much bang for the buck, that is why you don't hear about gains.

-Geoff
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look more into getting headers done, here in Wyoming we don't have emission requirement. Would you recommend short or long headers? Ive read that long tube headers make more hp, but that you lose lower rpm power and bottom end torque? I think the car needs lower bottom end power, when it gets above 4000 rpm it just goes.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM
rwb

The throttle body and maf won't gain any power until you do some big mods. Then the maf won't be worth a damn since it will be topped out on air flow. Just do a small cam and some injectors, though you will hit your financial limit real quick. Plus just remember that any major mods that you do to your car will require some programming to realize its full potential.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dirtgar
Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look more into getting headers done, here in Wyoming we don't have emission requirement. Would you recommend short or long headers? Ive read that long tube headers make more hp, but that you lose lower rpm power and bottom end torque? I think the car needs lower bottom end power, when it gets above 4000 rpm it just goes.
I would get the best headers you can afford. Save up a little more and get some Kooks. I always liked the Mac Mids, but unless you can get a set used I would just get longtubes (because the Macs cost as much as long tubes). Definitely don't waste your money on shorties. There are inexpensive long tubes out there that work well.

I think the power loss is a myth - they sound louder than stock so it makes you think you are really nailing the gas to get it moving. There are tons of graphs that show torque gains down below 2000 with headers only. Do a little research and you should find something in your price range that works well for your goals.

-Geoff
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will definitly begin doing reserach on long tube headers know the next challege is going to either install them myself or find a reasonably priced shop lol hey thats part of the fun.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Id also say long tube headers and offroad ypipe. but I dont think you can do it for $500. I just installed a set of American Racing Headers (ARH) and they are a VERY nice fit. best fit/finish Ive installed.
on a budget though, you could get jet hot long tubes. or find some used headers to possibly fit your budget.
I suggest NOT buying non coated headers. either jet hot coated or stainless steel.
you dont have to get a tune with just headers either, and its a definite improvement in power, and the attitude of the car.

some extra things youll need to buy along with headers will be

02 sensor extensions, some heat deflector tape (to wrap the harness' that go down the pass. frame rail next to the headers), band clamps (never use those ubolt clamps, you'll thank me the first time you gotta take it apart for any reason), and maybe locking header bolts. I recomend the percy's vibe-locks. real easy to use.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

i tried to research rwhp gain for those mods and my best real #s would be 5 rwhp on the throttle body & 5 on the MAF sensor. you can have your TB ported & remove your MAF screen for the less expensive route. i did buy a 80mm TB summit & just installed a SLP MAF (which is being discontinued) note it took 5 days for my engine SES light to go off after my car learned the new A/F ratio. i also just installed an underdrive pulley which is worth 5 plus rwhp. fyi if you change cams you really need upgraded springs. cheers! ps im assuming you already have an air lid (flip yours to see if smooth / no plastic baffles) and a cold air induction (not just filter).

Last edited by DANOZ28; 06-18-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Hey thanks for looking into the power gains from the TB and MAF, yes currently I do have a K&N Intake system.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

I just want to say you shouldn't forget that your car is much, much more than just an engine and drivetrain.

Honestly, the next mods I'd do if I were you are:
Subframe connectors
Pro 5.0 shifter with Lou's Short Stick

You should be able to do all of that for about $300, and you can almost certainly install them yourself. To do the subframe connectors, you just need a good jack, four jack stands, and level ground. The shifter and short stick only require wrenches.

The shifter and stick will make it 100x easier to shift gears quickly and accurately. You'll be blown away at the difference, especially if your car didn't come with the factory Hurst shifter option (but even if it did, this is a worthwhile upgrade).

The subframe connectors will tighten up your car's chassis. As you add power, this becomes crucial, but even at stock-ish power levels it makes a big difference in how your car rides and drives. You'll find that with subframe connectors you have a much higher feeling of confidence when taking corners and driving on rough roads.

Set the remaining $200 aside and save up for a set of Kooks or QTP stainless steel longtube headers with a matching Y-pipe. People say you lose bottom-end horsepower, but it's not true. The truth is that it just doesn't gain nearly as much as it does midrange and high-end, so it doesn't feel as fast. Line up next to an otherwise identical car with stock exhaust manifolds and you'll destroy him at every point in the race (unless he's a better driver than you are! ).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM

JakeRobb,
Thank you for the suggestions I will definitely get the SFC and strut tower from Spohn they seem to have good prices. Also I was looking at short shifters and have been looking at the Hurst brand, but they are a few other brands out there, so I will check out the Lou's short stick. Thanks!

Gary
Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM

hect I would say use the $200 and get a front strut brace to go with the subframes,, cars got 350 HP, need other mods before more power.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM

If you want headers and with your budget you should look at TSP 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers. 1998-02 Camaro-Firebird V8 Headers & X-Pipes

I agree also with SFC they are one of the first things you should do to a F-body.

Now I don't know about this "super chip tune" you have but I would say if you do do the headers and ORY then at least get a mail order tune later down the line from TSP or Frost is who I used and it was great!
TunedByFrost.com - Professional Tuning For Your LSx Powered Car or Truck