LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

17x11 and panhard bar and rear end leaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:39 PM

Question 17x11 and panhard bar and rear end leaning

I just slapped on my new 17x11 rims in the back with 315/35/17 and now its really noticable, the car has the rear right side lean, i don't know if its over time because of rear wheel drive, but I have had the suspension changed with new shocks and springs which I know isn't the problem. I know the factory panhard bar isn't adjustable, but what do you guys know about what the panhard bar really does and what an aftermarket one does? When I go over bumps sometimes the edges of my wheels rup against the rear fender a slight bit but its the rear right side. If anyone can give me more detailes much would be appreciated. Thanks.

To give you guys mor edetailes I have the front strut tower bar and sub frame connectors welded on, so I know as far as suspension everything is stable, I hope the frame isn't fluxed over the years of eating road. Anyway, thanks for the info guys....
Old 03-19-2003, 01:46 PM

It centers your rear from left to right. Get an adjustable bar and it will fix your issue.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:51 PM

thanks

Sweet, thanks for the prompt answer dude, also, what do you know about airbags in the springs? Do you think over time they will prevent this from happening again or are they for racing? Again thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:00 PM

Re: thanks

Originally posted by WipeOutXXL
Sweet, thanks for the prompt answer dude, also, what do you know about airbags in the springs? Do you think over time they will prevent this from happening again or are they for racing? Again thanks for the info.
The air bag has nothing to do with how your car sit. What it is used for is the F-body (and other cars) tend to twist one way when launching at the drag strip. Thus putting more pressure on one side of the rear over another. The airbag just helps to eaqualize it.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:04 PM

I think I may have misunderstood you. Are you saying that the one side sits lower than the other or one side is sticking out further than another?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:12 PM

No yeah the panhard bar answer was helpfull, the axle is fine, it's the rear end, the back of the car is leaning lower on the right side rather than the left, its about an inch to an inch and a half lower on the right. The rear end axle is centered fine....

Later,
Chris
Old 03-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Banned

yes if its leaning like that i would recommend getting the bmr adjustable panhard bar...
Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 PM

The only function of a PHB is to center the rear wheels under the car. It has absolutely nothing to do with raising or lowering one side or the other. The most likely components that can cause this would be the springs. They can be defective or installed incorrectly. If the control arms or sway bars are binding or bent it could affect ride height too. The shocks may also be causing some of it. But that's a long shot. I'd swap the springs from side to side and see if there is a change. The back springs are easy to do anyway.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:22 PM

As 2002Z28SSConv said....

It's NOT the panhard, by your description of the car sitting lower on one side.

That's springs or something else like a spring perch.

The idea of swapping the springs side to side is a good diagnostic. If it is the springs it'll go to the other side.

Good luck,
Gordon
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com
Old 03-20-2003, 11:38 AM

I havew just changed the shocks and sptings with new ones, even with the new ones its still leaning, I have sub frame connectors welded on and a strut tower bar as my mods for suspension, but the rear right side is still lower on the rear right side, could it be a control arm, I just changed everything about 3,000 miles ago and it still leans. I swapped the springs when they were installed, but the car is still leaning, that's why i'm stuck on what to do with this. I was thinking the panhard bar was what would kinda help stabalize the rear end, but from what's posted it just makes sure my car dosn't drive dog assed.....

Later,
Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 04:25 PM

Did you loosen and retighten ALL of the bolts holding the control arm bushings with the car resting on the ground? The control arm bushings themselves might be trying to hold the car up if you didn't. From what I remember, also, the springs twist into a groove on the perch. If it isn't turned right it will give more lift.

Is it just in the rear or at the front too?