General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Would blocking egr and removing cats improve performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Would blocking egr and removing cats improve performance ?

Thinking about removing the catalytic converters and blocking the egr valve on my 97 Z28 LT1
if it would improve performance ...any thoughts ?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Would blocking egr and removing cats improve performance ?

You might want to post your question here: General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board for a good answer.

My limited "tech" experience is blocking the egr and removing cats, without any other changes will probably result in throwing an error code and not providing much (if any) improvement in performance.

When I looked at changing from the stock cats on my 1994 to "performance cats", what we noticed was the stick cats flowed better than the pricey new ones. If it were me, I would look at headers before messing with the cats.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Let's move this to the correct forum.... not gonna get much traffic in "New Member Intro".
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator

EGR is not used above 3,500 RPM, or at wide open throttle, so nothing to be gained by deleting it (assuming the valve isn't leaking). Actually helps reduce detonation (knock) when it operates.... mostly when cruising at low RPM, and lugging the engine.

The dual cats were added in 1996 to minimize power loss (up to 95 only a single cat, except 95 CA emissions A4 trans cars). John Lingenfelter was selling emissions legal 383 LT1's and had to keep the cats. He claimed there was less than 5 HP loss at the 400 HP level on his engines.