General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Wiring an auxilary rev limiter to the speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Wiring an auxilary rev limiter to the speed sensor?

So I have just purchased and installed a Mallory 685 to compliment my nitrous kit and have been looking into ways to install the secondary rev limiter and have found a couple of ways it could be done.

Of course there is the obvious one which is to just run a momentary switch somewhere and just hold it down while staging. However, I dont really want to do that. I have gone through plenty of trouble to keep all my nitrous switches and buttons clean and concealed.

The N2O switch is activated by the factory fog light switch and relays (fog lights removed). I have the purge button and bottle heater switch on the left side of the ash tray under the lid. I hate the idea of having a lot of buttons and switches all over the place. It looks tacky to me, JMHO.

I have considered using the horn button but I would like to keep the horn working or not howling when I staged at the light. Also having a button you hold down while staging gives you one more thing to think about when trying to get a good launch.

Some people also have wired the limiter to their clutch switch to try solve this problem. I havent looked rvery heavily into it but from I gather there is two ways you could do it.

One is to wire to the clutch's cruise control switch which would kick the limiter in as soon as you pushed the clutch pedal in which might get in the way if trying to rev match for a healthy downshift.

The other way is run it to the starter switch on the clutch pedal. I figured that might get in the way when trying to slip the clutch off the line. It just seems like it wouldnt be logical unless you have a beefy rear end and just dump the clutch.

So this brings me to the actual reason for my post.

I have a 2006 Civic Si (i know, but its my DD). Anyways,I have Hondata FlashPro, which is the Honda equivalent of TunerCat or LT1_edit for the LT1. The Civic has a rev limiter tied to the VSS from the factory so FlashPro can in fact, control/adjust it. I have it set at 2200rpm in the little 4 banger, FWD car, and works awesome! At 0 mph, you can hold the gas pedal to the floor and it will bounce right at 2200rpm until the car starts moving. As soon as the car starts rolling, it turns the limiter off and off you go.

I think it would be ideal if there was a to tap the AC current off the LT1's VSS and some how get it turn off a relay as soon as it "sees" the VSS's signal. That way all have to do is be at a dead stop at the light, mash the pedal, let off the clutch in whatever ever way you prefer and you have your consistant launch without and extra button to push/see or having a clutch in a "sweet spot" for it to work correctly.

Are there any wiring gurus or electrical engineers on here that know a simple solution to this?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Re: Wiring an auxilary rev limiter to the speed sensor?

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I have limited electronics knowledge, but this is kinda a rough idea of what im getting after.

This uses a single pole double throw relay (SPDT).

Sorry for the crappy pic...