General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

wiring autometer gauges (newb) help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM

wiring autometer gauges (newb) help!!!

hello everyone. i have a 2001z28 4a, recently purchase the following gauges
trans temp http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-6157/
and water temp http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-6137/
both are autometer cobalt gauges electrical. my tranny temp gauge came with wires and sending unit, but my water temp did not come wiht the wires. i called summit and apperantly the wires are not included. i have never wired anything before, well except for my halos but i just spliced in to the fog lights. i need help as to how to wire my gauges up. i would really hate to pay a shop to it, because im also saving money to get my tranny rebuilt and put my stall in itaswell.

for the tranny temp gauge there are the wires that connect to the gauge it self and run to the sending unit pretty simple. then theres a black(ground), white (for internal lit instruments +12v dash) and red (+12v connection)wires. this iw where im lost i dont know where to connect the wires to. do i just splice into some wires?? if so which ones?? is there a write up with pics?? also the red wire in my instructions has a caution to use a fuse for it..??? ho would i go about putting a fuse ?? sorry about soo many questions but im a newb at this.

and my water temp looks like this

Name:  100_1877.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  60.5 KB

any help with wiring will be very well appreciated....
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM

no one has gauges...wow...

come on guys im a newb and just need help.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

We do ask that you wait for more than a few hours before you start pushing your post back to the top.

The grounds can go to any good chassis metal under the dash. Find a screw that has room under the head, and stake some lugs on the ground wires. For the 12V power to the light, you can tap into the fuse for the dash panel dimmer switch. Or if you don't want the instruments to dim with the dash lights, tie into the headlight switch, so the lights are only on when your parking lights/headlights are on. My 94 doesn't have fog lights, but I found what appeard to be the connector for the fog light switch near the headlight switch, and verified that it powered up when the parking or headlights come on.

For the power to the gauge itself, there is a spade lug in a small hole in the fuse panel at the end of the dash, labeled "IGN". That is switched 12V power, protected by an adjacent fuse. That way, the gauges are only powered when the ignition is switched on. Get a 1/4" female spade connector at Radio Shack, crimp it on the end of the 12V gauge wire, and push it over the male lug in the fuse block.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...r/DCP02496.jpg

AutoMeter usually includes instructions with the gauges. If you didn't get any instructions, they are available online at the AutoMeter website.

You can never have too much information....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04241a.jpg
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
We do ask that you wait for more than a few hours before you start pushing your post back to the top.

The grounds can go to any good chassis metal under the dash. Find a screw that has room under the head, and stake some lugs on the ground wires. For the 12V power to the light, you can tap into the fuse for the dash panel dimmer switch. Or if you don't want the instruments to dim with the dash lights, tie into the headlight switch, so the lights are only on when your parking lights/headlights are on. My 94 doesn't have fog lights, but I found what appeard to be the connector for the fog light switch near the headlight switch, and verified that it powered up when the parking or headlights come on.

For the power to the gauge itself, there is a spade lug in a small hole in the fuse panel at the end of the dash, labeled "IGN". That is switched 12V power, protected by an adjacent fuse. That way, the gauges are only powered when the ignition is switched on. Get a 1/4" female spade connector at Radio Shack, crimp it on the end of the 12V gauge wire, and push it over the male lug in the fuse block.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...r/DCP02496.jpg

AutoMeter usually includes instructions with the gauges. If you didn't get any instructions, they are available online at the AutoMeter website.

You can never have too much information....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04241a.jpg
sorry about pushing my post backup... it was my day off and i wanted to get it done. thanks for the info. its very help full.

one more question tho. since im installing 2 guages , can both be spliced in to the same power, light and ground wire?? or will this not work??

for example join both ground wires from the gauge, both light wire and power wires as well and then splice both of them in to the correct sources??

and is the fuse box method the same for camaros?? inoticed you have a ta???

can you also tell me what i need in oder to attach wires to my second gauge???(its the picture provided on my original post)

thanks again

Last edited by 81ls1_z28; 06-09-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

one more question tho. since im installing 2 guages , can both be spliced in to the same power, light and ground wire?? or will this not work?
yes
and is the fuse box method the same for camaros?? inoticed you have a ta???
the wiring is identical minus a few accessory differences.
can you also tell me what i need in oder to attach wires to my second gauge???(its the picture provided on my original post)
If that is the water temp guage, you need the sending unit and the metric adaptor (its a special one that you can order from a number of autometer dealers). You need both pieces and just like the stock sensor on the front of the drivers side head, there is a plug towards the back of the pass side. Dont overtighten it.
*Edit I think these are right: ATM2277, ATM2259

Last edited by Chevyssoccer; 06-09-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

The Firebird "end of dash" fuse box is upside down, compared to the Camaro fuse box, which is right side up.

I have a Formula, not a T/A.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 AM

so i can power both gauges with the ing slot in the fuse panel or do i need to run seperate wires to 2 diff slots??

i was just thinking taht both gauges would make 24v 12v each..and i think i read some where that a ing slot is for 20v?? or will i be fine with joining my 2 wires together and only using 1 slot..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
yes

the wiring is identical minus a few accessory differences.

If that is the water temp guage, you need the sending unit and the metric adaptor (its a special one that you can order from a number of autometer dealers). You need both pieces and just like the stock sensor on the front of the drivers side head, there is a plug towards the back of the pass side. Dont overtighten it.
*Edit I think these are right: ATM2277, ATM2259
i mean how to connect the power ligh and ground wires to my actual gauge...sorry i should have put more info.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Those are male spade lugs. You need a matching female spade connectors, probably 1/4". Take it to Radio Shack, and match up what you need, and buy a small pack of them. I would get the ones with plastic insulation around the outside. You will require a crimping tool to crimp the wires to the connectors, and some heat-shrink insulating tubes to put over the wire/connector joint.