General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Windshield wiper problem

lately my wipers are bing weird. I will turn them on when it rains, when Im done using them I will close them. Problems is when i close them, they dont go all the way down. They stay in the delay mode, not entirely down. The only way i was able to get them to go down was by turning the car off. Once I turned the car back on, the wipers go down to its original off position. The wiper motor dying?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM

If it is like the camaro wiper problem I had, your not going to like the answer.

The story...
I took our 97 to the mechanics and they tried adjusting and switching the arms under the hood. With no avail, they decided it was a one of two moduals that make the wipers work. The first one was $500 from chevy, the second, $1000!!! So we went for the $500 dollar modual and that still didnt work. The wipers did the exact same thing as you described. So we were about to put the thousand dollar part in (which we got for way less at a autowrecker) and just before, the car got hit by a pickup truck and got totaled.
All thanks to a semi truck and a pickup, my camaro was no more.

So hopefully that will help you. I don't want someone to go through the expensive experience of replacing unneeded parts like I did.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen454
If it is like the camaro wiper problem I had, your not going to like the answer.

The story...
I took our 97 to the mechanics and they tried adjusting and switching the arms under the hood. With no avail, they decided it was a one of two moduals that make the wipers work. The first one was $500 from chevy, the second, $1000!!! So we went for the $500 dollar modual and that still didnt work. The wipers did the exact same thing as you described. So we were about to put the thousand dollar part in (which we got for way less at a autowrecker) and just before, the car got hit by a pickup truck and got totaled.
All thanks to a semi truck and a pickup, my camaro was no more.

So hopefully that will help you. I don't want someone to go through the expensive experience of replacing unneeded parts like I did.

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss! Did this wiper problem always happen with you? This problem of mine is not consistent. Only happens here and there.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM

The problem started off as only once and a while but then went constantly. It got to the point that it was stopping half way down the window. I had to open the window while driving down the road and pull them down after I turned them off.

Looking at the schematics in Haynes, there is a schematic for the window motor which has a "end of sweep switch" with in the motor mechanism. And as I think about it more, I think the one modual was part of the motor and the other was part of the switch control system. So this being said, I think the problem lies in the modual that is part of the window motor.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Here is the schematic showing the switch in the window motor modual

Link of schematic to my fquick page Click Here
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Wiper Issues

I have a 94' Z28 with the same problem. For years it would randomly set the wipers off if I took a sharp corner. Then the wipers would get caught about 4 inches higher when they were turned off. Sometimes it would fix itself, finally it stopped fixing itself and stayed about 5 inches off. Now, as of today, I used the windshield cleaner and now the wipers won't turn off at all. I have to twist the manual on/off at just the right interval to get it to stop at about 6 inches above where it should be. Very annoying... So a wiper motor should fix the issue? Camaros are scarce in u-pull-its around here.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM

It's the wiper motor. The cold solder on the circuit boards in the motors go bad.

Same thing on my '97 - wouldn't go down, then wouldn't delay, then wouldn't shut off (I just pulled the fuse for a few months).
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM

This is from a repair website i pay for. I don't have a car in front of me to check
1. Check the crank arm assembly for being broken. This is the piece that bolts to the wiper motor shaft with the spring wrapped around it.

2. Check the metal tang sticking up from the motor mounting bracket to see if it is broken off or bent. This tang has to come in contact with the arm sticking out for the crank arm assembly in order to park and shut off the wipers

The solder boards(if it has one) can be soldered and rechecked. Look for cracks in the solder joints.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 AM

Re: Windshield wiper problem

Yo! I'm pretty sure that my issues has to do with the "little metal tang" but I'm really not sure what it is!!!! I'm like 99% sure my motor is electrically operating properly. Here's a video I posted about it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hneo9uBWZ_M&feature=youtu.be
Information is appreciated.
Originally Posted by byrons1502
This is from a repair website i pay for. I don't have a car in front of me to check
1. Check the crank arm assembly for being broken. This is the piece that bolts to the wiper motor shaft with the spring wrapped around it.

2. Check the metal tang sticking up from the motor mounting bracket to see if it is broken off or bent. This tang has to come in contact with the arm sticking out for the crank arm assembly in order to park and shut off the wipers

The solder boards(if it has one) can be soldered and rechecked. Look for cracks in the solder joints.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Re: Windshield wiper problem

There is a wiper linkage and motor diagram showing the "bracket, wiper motor" in the 94 factory manual - Volume 1 of 2, Part 2 of 2, page 8E-15. Isn't clear what part of that bracket would be call a "tang".

You can download the 94 factory manual for free, here:

LINK: 4TH GEN SERVICE MANUALS - Firebird Nation

Maybe looking at the linkage diagram would help you figure it out.