General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Window motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 PM

Window motor

I know this has probably been asked before, but how hard is it to replace the power window motor? Mine finally decided to crap out, but I'm not completely sure if it is just the motor. My passenger side window was always slow if I used the switch on the driver side. However, if I used the switch on the passenger side it would roll up quicker. I think the connection may possibly be bad, has anyone had this problem? Now, my passenger side switch is broken (thanks to a passenger who had to push on it too hard ) and it requires a second person to roll up the window (one to pull on the window, the other to push the switch). Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do and/or personal experience with the problem. Also, where is a good place to get a replacement motor other than ebay?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:36 PM

Re: Window motor

Yeah, sounds like it's the motor if you have to have someone pull up on the window.
Originally posted by BlakeW5
Also, where is a good place to get a replacement motor other than ebay?
Whats wrong with ebay? I bought a GM power window motor off ebay for cheap and have had no problems with it, just make sure it isnt a rebuilt one.

Here are easy directions to changing the power window motor yourself.(click here) That page also includes what might be wrong with your switch. Basically it is common for the switch to crack.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:28 AM

Why buy one of these from E-bay? I bought one from o'reily this past weekend for $49 with a lifetime warranty. It's not that bad once you've done it once or twice. It only takes like 10-15 minutes to do once the rivets are drilled out.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:36 AM

$49?? With a lifetime warranty?? Where can I get a couple? I've just gotten into the habbit of changing my window motors every couple of years - they suck. I'm getting ready to replace my passenger one...again.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:20 PM

Thats why it didn't make any sense to me to buy one off ebay. I just bought one last weekend, how much do these things usually cost? I know the one's for my 65 finally went down in price to $65. You talk about a pain in the A$$!! It's been broke for a year, I decided just to drive it in nice weather.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:14 PM

Nothing wrong with ebay, just figured there would be a place where I could go and pick one up and get a warranty. The one I found on ebay had a lifetime warranty, but having to ship it out to fix just sounded like a pain.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:17 AM

me and the tech at work replaced both motors for an ls1.com guy. man it was a biotch !!! the original motor is held in by rivets, so you must drill them out. then you need new rivets for the new motor, or use nuts and bolts. that is what we did. the motor is in the area of the switches and there is minimal space to get to it. it took us almost 2 hours for the first one. it is a pain so be sure to bring your patience. good luck
Old 05-20-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by gav'spurplez
me and the tech at work replaced both motors for an ls1.com guy. man it was a biotch !!! the original motor is held in by rivets, so you must drill them out. then you need new rivets for the new motor, or use nuts and bolts. that is what we did. the motor is in the area of the switches and there is minimal space to get to it. it took us almost 2 hours for the first one. it is a pain so be sure to bring your patience. good luck
Not all that hard.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 PM

easier said than done. maybe we just had a rotten car

it was a pain, i do not look forward to replacing mine any time soon. thanks god they still work,
Old 05-22-2004, 11:54 AM

I replaced my passenger side motor following shoeboxes pics and it's not that horrible to do... It's not the easiest thing, but compared to repairing anything else on these cars it's not that bad... Only issue I had was lining up the access holes with the rivets on the motor... The doors are fiberglass so if you don't get it exactly lined up you can use a hacksaw blade or something to make the opening larger... I used a larger drill bit and drilled out the heads of the rivets then tapped them out the rest of the way... I stuck a couple of towels in the door so when the motor popped off it would drop onto that... Then I used the old motor mounting points as a reference and lined up the new one and bolted it on... Not that bad.. Just give yourself some time to do it.

I bought my motor from ebay with a lifetime warranty for $22... It works great but took 7 days for it to ship out to me.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Not all that hard.
Especially considering how much the dealership would charge to do it. Thanks for those directions.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:11 PM

Just replaced my friend's window motor last weekend and I was literaly laughing at how easy that was. I've done mine without drilling the holes in the door and that was more effort, but if you go with shoebox's guide it's cake.