General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Will I Need O2 Simms With Jethot Catted Y Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 PM

Will I Need O2 Simms With Jethot Catted Y Pipe?

or should i send the pcm to someone to delete this off my pcm? if i do send my pcm to someone this wont hurt performasnce at all would it? seems like you shouldnt just be able to delete something like this without any consequences who has the best deal on doing this? thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:53 PM

If you have a catted y-pipe, you don't need to delete the rear O2's. They are used to check efficiency of the cats. So if you are running cat's you will probably on need extensions. If you are running an ORY, you need to delete them as there are no cats for them to monitor and will throw a cat efficiency code. This is also the reason it doesn't affect performance, as it isn't used to run the engine, just test the emissions.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 AM

a program will INCREASE the performance of the car. unless you pay $200 for someone to just delete the cats

madwolf does tunes for $225 i think, and he guarantees about 13hp gains

and he does 3months of free updates, then $50 after that if you change other things.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by teke184
a program will INCREASE the performance of the car. unless you pay $200 for someone to just delete the cats

madwolf does tunes for $225 i think, and he guarantees about 13hp gains

and he does 3months of free updates, then $50 after that if you change other things.
I don't think his tunes are $225, that's just the price with a core charge. If you send in your PCM and don't pay the core, he'll just tune yours and send it back. If you'd like to exchange PCM's for faster service and less down time pay the full amount and he'll send you an already tuned PCM, then just send your PCM back after you exchange for most of the core charge paid back. Here is his website.

Edit: I too would like to know if I go ORY if I can just get rid of the O2 sensors through a tune. I forgot to as Ion about that one. That'll save me getting O2 bunges and also buying new O2 sensors since I'm sure mine are about shot with 112k on em.

Last edited by Jay-Roll; 05-19-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Administrator

As noted in an earlier post, the after-cat O2 sensors are only there to monitor the efficiency of the catalytic convertors. If you do not have the convertors, you need to replace the after-cat sensors with "sims" that plug into the harness, no bungs required in the exhaust system. Or you can have the after-cat sensors "programmed out" of the PCM. There will be no negative affects on performance for either method of deleting the sensors. Only OBD-II cars require this - 96 and newer.

If you have a 93-95, you are OBD-I and don't have the after-cat sensors to worry about. You need to keep the pre-cat sensors in all cases, unless you would like to switch to open-loop operation.... not recommended.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:14 AM

actually it is $225...i've been in contact with him several times recently...i'm planning on getting a tune soon.

the original poster has a 00 fbody

Item 1 - 97-04 LS1/LS6 Programming $225 -- Programming for all 97-04 LS1 and LS6 cars.
Free updates for a period of 3 months after the initial purchase (you pay only return shipping) then $50 plus shipping afterwards.

a cheaper way to go if you don't plan to change much in the future:

Item 2 - 97-04 LS1/LS6 "Saver Package" Programming $150 -- Programming for all 97-04 LS1 and LS6 cars.
The "Saver" Package includes any 4 items of the following: Remove Skip Shift, Adjust Rev Limiter, Lower Fan Kick On Temperature, Adjust Speed Limiter, Disable Any Code(s), Disable VATS, Disable Torque Management, Adjust for different tire/gear size, disable rear o2 sensors.

the core charge is separate from these costs:

Item 4 - LS1/LS6 PCM Core Charge $115 --
A Core Charge is required if you want to do a PCM exchange for minimizing downtime. $105 will be refunded upon receiving your PCM (which must be in working condition) back within a 7 days period. $90 will be refunded if it is returned later than 7 days.
The PCM we send you will have your VIN number and the latest GM software for your car.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the answer Injuneer, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I also apologize Teke you are correct. I wasn't thinking when I typed and was making reference to an OBDI car not OBDII. Sorry about that one.