Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to sixspeedfirebir Send a message via Yahoo to sixspeedfirebir
Whistling/humming sound from back of the car.

Whenever my car is running I have a strange high pitched humming sound coming fromt he back of the car.

At first I though it was a speaker grounding out or something to that effect, but I turned off the radio and the sound was still there. Then I tried turning the key to 'acc' or 'on' with the radio on while the car wasn't running and the sound wasn't there.

So then I was thinking exhasut, but when I give the car a little gas the noise doesn't change at all. I figured if I was something with the exhaust the sound would change a little when I touched the gas, but it didn't.

Anyone have any ideas on this little problem? It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects, but its kind of annoying because every now and then I like to turn the radio off and just listen to that beautiful LS1.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
!Skip Shift
HPPIII Sold for a $40 profit
sixspeedfirebir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #2

Re: Whistling/humming sound from back of the car.

Have you done any gear change or fuild change lately? If so make sure you use limted slip additive.

7.6/94mph 1/8, 11.9/116mph 1/4
Fuels94TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to sixspeedfirebir Send a message via Yahoo to sixspeedfirebir

I thought about that to, but it does it in neutral when I'm sitting still. Also I just changed the gear oil and additive about 8,000 miles ago. And it sounds like its coming from inside the car.

Thanks though.
!Skip Shift
Old 01-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Banned

fuel pump is on its way out
anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #5

I was just gonna say...probably the fuel pump. *Cross your fingers* it's not actually going bad...maybe just getting a little noisy??
1993 Z28: Road Race car - LT1/T56 - SoloSprint #95 - Goes, Blows, Goes and Blows.
1973 Camaro: Dad's - 355, TH350, 4.10's.
1981 Z28: 383 c.i., TH350, 3.42's - sold August, 2000.
Capn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #6

crap... I hadn't thought of that at all...

I'm pushing right at 71,000 miles. Does that sound about right for a fuel pump? About what would that cost if I have to fix it? 12 disc changer I'm trying to get might have to wait....
!Skip Shift

Last edited by sixspeedfirebir; 01-08-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #7

For cost saving's sake, I'd recommend doing it yourself if you've got the means. The stupid pumps in these cars aren't exactly cheap, and the labour cost is a bunch to have a shop install it too. To do the pump you gotta drop the rear end, muffler, and gas tank...very labour intensive for something so simple. Now you CAN cut a hole from in the trunk directly over top of the fuel sending unit and access it that way...a friend of mine replaced the one in his '95 himself using that method, and he's not even a mechanic...it saves a bunch of time and work. Even if you have someone do the job for you, it would probably be a good idea to suggest they do that instead of the "proper" way.
1993 Z28: Road Race car - LT1/T56 - SoloSprint #95 - Goes, Blows, Goes and Blows.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Pete
For cost saving's sake, I'd recommend doing it yourself if you've got the means. The stupid pumps in these cars aren't exactly cheap, and the labour cost is a bunch to have a shop install it too. To do the pump you gotta drop the rear end, muffler, and gas tank...very labour intensive for something so simple. Now you CAN cut a hole from in the trunk directly over top of the fuel sending unit and access it that way...a friend of mine replaced the one in his '95 himself using that method, and he's not even a mechanic...it saves a bunch of time and work. Even if you have someone do the job for you, it would probably be a good idea to suggest they do that instead of the "proper" way.
Well I should be able to do all that myself. If not I have an Uncle who might as well be a mechanic. I might drop the muffler/rear/fuel tank anyway and go ahead and get a good cat-back while I'm at it.

Is there any way to check the fuel pump to see if its going bad or not?
!Skip Shift
Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Spinner

Fuel pump is the only noise making device in the rear of the car.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #10

Never thought about this..but I've heard the same high pitch whistling in the back as well. I also assumed it was the rear speakers, so never really worried about it.

So, don't know much about the fuel pump in our cars. Is it in the tank or outside? I'm guessing outside since Capn Pete's recommends pulling it from the top. Can someone tell me where fuel sending unit is located or better yet some pictures of where to cut in the trunk?
Basics: 96 Z28, A4 Wheels/Tires: 18x9 Moda R6, P275/35R18 555s Brakes: Hawks, LS1 Upgrade, Baer Rotors, SS Lines Suspension: Bilsteins, re-lo LCAs, SFCs, STB, 32mm swaybar Induction: K&N FIPK, 1LE Elbow, Airfoil Exhaust: SLP Shorties, Corsa Ignition: NGK TR55 Engine: 160 T-Stat, CC 1.6RRs/Lifters, Chromemoly Pushrods, LT4 Springs/Retainers Drivetrain: Rebuilt 4L60E, 2200 Stall, 3.73s, TA Girdle Computer: LT4KM,Dyno Tune, 315rwhp, 335rwtq http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2989125
WestCoast96Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #11

Do a search for it, theres plenty of guides out there. Definetly do it from the top though
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to s3gulit Send a message via Yahoo to s3gulit

Depending on when u last did basic preventative maintenence you might want to change the fuel filter to just make sure thats not the problem. When i bought my 96 silverado this summer the truck had an irrtable whine coming from the fuel pump (easy to tell because its right behind the cab). I decided to check everything over when i did my oil change in a couple weeks after and changed the fuel filter...previous owner never changed it...86,000miles and not one fuel filter change. Fuel pump was working so hard to push fuel through the filter it was making the terrible "whine". Soon as i replaced it it became more of a tolerable noice and i could barely notice it.

Just an inexpensive idea to see if it would help (like $15) for a fuel filter.

Dave

Exterior: Stainless Steel exhaust tips
Performance: Borla Cat Back Exhaust
Interior: Clear HVAC Knobs, Blue gauges, Blue HVAC Lights
Sound: JVC SH-KDX 700 MP3, RF P3002 Amp, 2 12" Kicker Impulses, Custom Made Sealed Box.
s3gulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28
So, don't know much about the fuel pump in our cars. Is it in the tank or outside?
The pump is inside the gas tank, and I'm pretty sure that the sending unit & pump are all 1 complete assembly.....you can't just buy the pump, you're buying the whole works.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Pete
The pump is inside the gas tank, and I'm pretty sure that the sending unit & pump are all 1 complete assembly.....you can't just buy the pump, you're buying the whole works.
Uh, no. You buy the pump. The pump is in the tank, inside the fuel bucket, and easily replaced. 2 hour job if you cut a door from the top
Old 01-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #15

So is there any way to check it before I go tearing around back there?
!Skip Shift
Old 01-10-2005, 01:27 PM

Reply Post New Thread