General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Where is my water going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:12 PM

Angry Where is my water going?

I posted this in the v6 forum but thought maybe someone here could help.

Well my car has been doing this for a while but now it's really annoying me. about once a week my radiator will be half full and i have to refill it. what i want to know is where my water is or could possibly be going. this all started when i tried to flush my radiator out. i unpluged it and drained it but didn't unplug the engine block. so i tried to refill it and the friggin thing would not take in as much water as it put out. so i drove it around a little while and keep a good eye on it to see if it would work any water into the system. well it did but too much. the plug i unscrewed is tight as can be, no water can be found leaking out of the car, either siting still off or running. the only thing i can think of is there anyway that that much water can be dissapearing out of my exhaust. what i mean is that my car when first started will "fire" out a lot of black stuff that is of a watery substance. i know that some water exits throught the exhaust but i dont' think that much could. anyone got any ideas would be great. ya'll know the car, 94 3.4L V6 w/ 178,000 miles. thanx, AJ
Old 05-15-2004, 01:00 AM

I have/had the same problem. Get the cooling system pressure tested as well the rad cap. My system held pressure, but the POS cap was only holding 9psi, instead of 18psi. Still a little hazy about if I was blowing it out the cap or out the resevoir tank? If you cap is bad, get one for the dealer. The quality cap I got from Pepboys, should of been 16psi (no 18's there). It tested 12psi. Good luck and make sure your res. tank is at the proper level. over fill it and you'll definitly be blowing green out the res. tank.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:02 AM

Have you checked your oil lately to see if the level is getting high and/or it looks like it's got water in it?? If you've got a blown head gasket, you could be getting antifreeze into the oil, and that's not a good thing.........it'll f#(k $h!t up BAD! Check that before you drive anywhere else. I'm not sure about the 3.4L V6's, but I know that certain GM V6's were famous for blowing intake gaskets.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:37 AM

forgot to metion that but there is no water in the oil. i'll check the reservior tank though. l8tr
Old 05-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Have you checked the heater core? You might have developed a leak.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:44 PM

Coolant in a newer hot running engine won't show in oil until you get engine noise. Hear lifters rattle at startup, maybe piston noise when on the road. If it's going into the cylinders, might notice a dead miss on cold startup for a few seconds. I'd suspect you got an air pocket in the engine when draining and refilling and maybe warped a head. Hope not.