General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Whattt firsttt????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Whattt firsttt????

so what should i upgrade now?? i have flowmaster exhaust...bbk headers...trango shift kit in trans....stock engine! what should i upgrade? i was thinking a bbk throttle body and then some aftermarket bushings (the red ones) and then a trick flow aluminum inlet elbow...what are your opinions and any help or criticism is greatlky accepted
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Cai ?????
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Is your "Flowmaster exhaust" a full cat-back? If not, you need a cat-back. As mentioned above, the CAI is mandatory. Throttle body bypass, 1.6 RR's, PCM tune would all produce more power than the BBK throttle body (52mm??) and the aluminum inlet elbow.

Which rear axle ratio do you have 2.73 or 3.23? A higher stall converter and 3.73 gears will really wake it up, particularly if you have 2.73's now.

As far as putting the power to the pavement, stick tires, tubular lower control arms (LCA's) and LCA relocation brackets. Adjustable tubular panhard rod would be next. Which bushings you want on the LCA's and other suspension parts depends on how you use the car. All poly will work OK for straight line applications, but they can be too stiff for cornering applications, and put the suspension in bind when the body rolls.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Is your "Flowmaster exhaust" a full cat-back? If not, you need a cat-back. As mentioned above, the CAI is mandatory. Throttle body bypass, 1.6 RR's, PCM tune would all produce more power than the BBK throttle body (52mm??) and the aluminum inlet elbow.

Which rear axle ratio do you have 2.73 or 3.23? A higher stall converter and 3.73 gears will really wake it up, particularly if you have 2.73's now.

As far as putting the power to the pavement, stick tires, tubular lower control arms (LCA's) and LCA relocation brackets. Adjustable tubular panhard rod would be next. Which bushings you want on the LCA's and other suspension parts depends on how you use the car. All poly will work OK for straight line applications, but they can be too stiff for cornering applications, and put the suspension in bind when the body rolls.
yes i have a 3in cat back from flowmaster...also forgot to mention i have kn cai installed...also whats a throttle body bypass? and what do you mean by 1.6rr? its has stock rear end i believe...what is a good stall to buy? btw i really really appreciate the help guys... also whats the best way to get a tune and should i do it now or later...and if not poly bushings what other kit can i buy because my cars going to be mostly street?? btw how did you get your engine bay to look sooooo f'n good man? seriously mines a mess imo

Last edited by z28beast; 03-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

A two second search, the first thing that popped up!
http://timney.cz28.com/tbbypass.htm

1.6rr is the ratio of the rocker arms, i.e. "rocker ratio (rr)". The stock LT1 rocker ratio is 1.5:1, the LT4 had 1.6:1. It's very common to replace the 1.5 with 1.6 rockers, as it's easy to do, realitively cheap, and is good for an increase in hp.

I think the next thing I would do is the rear end gears. Get the 3:73 gears. On a street car you may like the stiffer rubber pieces better then the poly, although I personally like the poly mounts, as long as you get the greasable ones.

As far as the "tune" goes, if you want the full benefits of the mods. you've done you should at least get a "mail order" tune. Look in the venders section. The problem is that if you keep mod'ing the car you will need to keep getting the tune upgraded.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
A two second search, the first thing that popped up!
http://timney.cz28.com/tbbypass.htm

1.6rr is the ratio of the rocker arms, i.e. "rocker ratio (rr)". The stock LT1 rocker ratio is 1.5:1, the LT4 had 1.6:1. It's very common to replace the 1.5 with 1.6 rockers, as it's easy to do, realitively cheap, and is good for an increase in hp.

I think the next thing I would do is the rear end gears. Get the 3:73 gears. On a street car you may like the stiffer rubber pieces better then the poly, although I personally like the poly mounts, as long as you get the greasable ones.

As far as the "tune" goes, if you want the full benefits of the mods. you've done you should at least get a "mail order" tune. Look in the venders section. The problem is that if you keep mod'ing the car you will need to keep getting the tune upgraded.
ok so is doing the rrs an good first step in an engine upgrade? what all do i need to get in order to do this? and what am i looking at in price?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM

I think you'll find everyone has their own idea's on how to proceed. I would wait until I had the money to do the head, cam. and rockers together.

Injuneer; A higher stall converter and 3.73 gears will really wake it up
The TB and inlet elbow are easy and you don't have to "get into the engine".
Look at http://www.summitracing.com/ and http://www.jegs.com/ to get an idea on prices.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
I think you'll find everyone has their own idea's on how to proceed. I would wait until I had the money to do the head, cam. and rockers together.

The TB and inlet elbow are easy and you don't have to "get into the engine".
Look at http://www.summitracing.com/ and http://www.jegs.com/ to get an idea on prices.
ok thanks buddy
Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

The TB and inlet elbow also don't produce much, if anything in the way of performance......