General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What would you grab with this opportunity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:14 AM

What would you grab with this opportunity?

I have a chance to grab some peripheral parts from a 1994 Z28 at a wreaking yard next week and some other f-body interior and exterior parts at some local wreaking yards next week.(within a 100 mi's from home).Besides grabbing the individual heater hoses with the bleed screw and the bleed screw from the water pump,and the steam pipe assembly from the rear,are there any other parts that can't be bought anymore that I should get?Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.Hope I'm in the right forum.Many thanks.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: What would you grab with this opportunity?

How about the fuel sender assemblies (pump/gauge sensor, sock...)? Have to cut a hole in the floor with some tin ships.
Suggestions: Taillights. Door window tracks/rollers. Ignition/steering lock cylinder. HVAC control panel. Headlight/fog-light control panel. Console compartment lid and hinge pin. Engine compartment fuel lines.

Edit: lock cylinder may be too much work and may be available anyway
Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Whew.Thank you.Got a question about the the gage sensor and what is a sock?I'll do a search for how to get there from up above *and it's location)on top of the gas tank I believe.I guess I just pull the whole assembly out including the pump?But the fuel lines come out of the fender.Should I remove them from a starting point i.e. under the car?If it's too involved I'll go nuts.The window tracks rollers are still available I believe but the cylinder lock removal will send me to the home for basket weavers.Again, many thanks for your input.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Oh yes and the center console thing is a given as I crazy glued my last f-body lid because it broke all the time from leaning on it when getting into the car.Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Whew.Thank you.Got a question about the the gage sensor and what is a sock?I'll do a search for how to get there from up above *and it's location)on top of the gas tank I believe.I guess I just pull the whole assembly out including the pump?But the fuel lines come out of the fender.Should I remove them from a starting point i.e. under the car?If it's too involved I'll go nuts.The window tracks rollers are still available I believe but the cylinder lock removal will send me to the home for basket weavers.Again, many thanks for your input.
Pull the whole assembly out of the tank.

I think the junctions for the fuel lines is under the driver seat area, not exactly sure.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:14 PM

Again thank you.I'll do some searching.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Administrator

I think the plastic fuel line bundle, from behind the rocker panel near the front edge of the driver's door, to the hard lines on the fuel rails, is still an available part from GM. Shoebox shows it is (PN 10258441).

Get the fuel rails and injectors. Two bolts in each rail, pull it straight up - may be hard to pull up until the injectors pop out of the intake manifold. If you can't get the injectors out, slide the retaining clips off the injectors, and the rail, hard lines, Schrader valve and fuel pressure regulator come off as a unit. You will need to release the clip that holds the hard lines where the plastic lines attach. There is a Torx screw on the clip, with the head pointing down, so hard to access. If you are trying to save the plastic fuel lines, you need the quick disconnect tools for 5/16" and 3/8". Shoebox has instructions.

The fuel pump assembly is called the "Sending unit". All the pieces - support bracket, pump, bucket, flex lines and wiring - are all connected together and come out when you unbolt the cover plate from the tank, and pull up on it. You don't have to worry about retrieving individual parts. You have to unplug the harness connector from the sending unit, and either disconnect (release tool required) or cut the fuel lines. Be careful - there could be fuel or fuel vapor in the tank. No smoking, avoid sparks.

Look at the stickies on the Fuel & Ignition forum for a guide to accessing the fuel sending unit.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 PM

Whew.Well I saw the fuel pump removal on two sites-1--------utube installing walpro fp through trap door camaro/trans am.and 2 at www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuel pump.html----Looks real clean done.Will the injectors work on my 93 (the wreaking yard car is a 94z28)as well as the other things mentioned.I think my injectors are 22lbs but I could be wrong.The first thing I'm buying is a good wire snips because there is no electricity out there,and cut away.What bothers me is that these folks used rubber hose connections where there should be piping lines coming out of the tank.Anyway,thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Are you strictly looking for parts that will work on your 93? Given the differences in the injectors, fuel rails, pressure regulator and lines, nothing is a direct replacement. You would need a new chip burnt for the injectors.

Fuel sending unit is a direct replacement.

I thought you might be looking for parts you could sell for more than you would pay at a salvage yard.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Yes,just backup parts for my 93.I probably my pick up interior parts as well.Thanks again.