General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What to look for in a 72 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:44 PM

What to look for in a 72 SS

I dont know how different a Nova is from a Camaro, but there is a 1972 Nova SS a couple miles from my house. It looks to be in decent shape, needs paint, but original paint is still there. It is a 4-Speed Manual and I really did not get to look in the inside because it was kind of dark. The guy has new carpet and new headliner and is asking 6500 or reasonable offer? Does that seem right? Does that low price mean it wont run? I know my friend bought a 396 chevelle and it was 16k. If I go to drive it (if it runs) what should I look for? I only really know about the 90's camaros and not much about classic cares. Any tips?

I know this isnt classic tech, but I posted here because it wasnt really engine related.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 11:54 AM

Depending on the condition, the price may not be that cheap. The value of older cars really drops off after 1970. If it has a big block then it's obviously worth a lot more. Ask for documentation of it being a SS. I think they are pretty easy to fake, and if you don't know what your looking for you could get taken. I would check for rust in the trunk, floors, bottom of the doors and around the front and rear windows. Remember that rust is NEVER cheap to fix. Look at an old cars price guide or Hemmings motor news to see what the market is doing on these cars. Hope this helps a little, I'm no expert but I've bought my share of old cars.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:40 PM

what you want is a 67-70. The 72's stunk