General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What is the deal with Hypertech?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM

What is the deal with Hypertech?

My brother-in-law (yes, the same one who I've been talking to about the gears, etc etc) used one on his '94 Z28 A4 and said it ran great with it.....best mod he ever did to that car. Couldn't have been happier.

Then I read some people who hate Hypertech's......and I get the feeling that people that do have it are embarrassed by it??!! Please fill me in, and give me all the info you can. I'm completely lost.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 PM

Re: What is the deal with Hypertech?

They don't provide any real gains, for what you spend you get almost nothing out of it. They are good to have if you change tire/wheel size, to get rid of speed limiter (if your car had one) and to make the fans come on sooner...other then that they are almost useless.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
They don't provide any real gains, for what you spend you get almost nothing out of it. They are good to have if you change tire/wheel size, to get rid of speed limiter (if your car had one) and to make the fans come on sooner...other then that they are almost useless.
Well, I wasn't only looking to gain a thousand horsepower......I'm mostly looking for something to re-tune the car and change **** around once I get my gears and possibly other stuff. You know, to re-do stuff to accomodate minor mods.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:17 PM

I almost bought one myself, but then I discovered MadZ28.com For almost less than half of what the HPP3 costs you can have a complete custom tune, although yes if you had to reprogram it, you have to send it back to Ion, but all you have to pay for is shipping to him and back. I did a OBD2-OBD1 conversion on a 1996 Z28 A4 I had, worked perfect. Since then I have a 1995 Z28 M6 and I have a buddy who has a laptop with c.a.t.s. and lt1 edit(I think thats what it was) and for 10 bucks and about an hour of time, everything that the hpp3 does, he did.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CrazySJ95Z28
I almost bought one myself, but then I discovered MadZ28.com For almost less than half of what the HPP3 costs you can have a complete custom tune, although yes if you had to reprogram it, you have have to send it back to Ion, but all you have to pay for is shipping to him and back. I did a OBD2-OBD1 conversion on a 1996 Z28 A4 I had, worked perfect. Since then I have a 1995 Z28 M6 and I have a buddy who has a laptop with c.a.t.s. and lt1 edit(I think thats what it was) and for 10 bucks and about an hour of time, everything that the hpp3 does, he did.
Yeah I know about madz28.com......I've e-mailed Ion and asked a few questions......but I'd rather not swap out PCM's....I'd just the same sit down and plug something in and make the car work like it should with the new gears, etc. LOL i still don't know what to do.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:37 PM

You can't really "tune" with the Hypertech. You have the choice of their tune or no tune.
You can make changes for gear sizes and a few things, but otherwise there is little it will do.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You can't really "tune" with the Hypertech. You have the choice of their tune or no tune.
You can make changes for gear sizes and a few things, but otherwise there is little it will do.
So what's the best for a guy with a stock engine (except a K&N filter) and gears? I just wanna make the car run right with the mods I'm getting.

Maybe if I start to do other stuff to the engine then I'll want a higher-power tune?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:02 PM

I did pcmforless and he programmed my a4 computer when it was stock and it picked up .2 Now he reprograms it after cert mods i get and its not costing me a tihng because I bought the unlimited programming. So All i need was the laptop and cable. The cable was like 90 bucks and programming was like 150. So it wasn't that expensive and its awsome. Bryan does great work
Old 07-27-2005, 04:07 PM

I used one for gears, shift firmness, fans, etc. for a while - never tried their tune. If you want to try one you can find them used in the classified forums, I sold mine for $130 shipped - you can always resell it later. Just make sure it's been "returned to stock" before purchasing.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I used one for gears, shift firmness, fans, etc. for a while - never tried their tune. If you want to try one you can find them used in the classified forums, I sold mine for $130 shipped - you can always resell it later. Just make sure it's been "returned to stock" before purchasing.
\

Yeah, that's what I want to use it for. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM

The Hypertech tune adds a little seat of the pants feel for some guys. A little more advance.
I saved the program with LT-1 Edit before I sold my HPP3. It will also ping unless you run premium whereas the factory tune will adjust for 89 or even 87 octane.
I'm running one of Ion's tunes right now and it works great for my S/C application.
I also have the unlimited updates for future mods.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 PM

I like my Thermomaster chip... So does my '93Z ....
Old 07-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by GT KILLER
So what's the best for a guy with a stock engine (except a K&N filter) and gears? I just wanna make the car run right with the mods I'm getting.

Maybe if I start to do other stuff to the engine then I'll want a higher-power tune?
Since you have a 1994 and if you just want to tinker with stuff, get a cable to hook to a laptop/desktop computer and get Tunercat (<$200 for both). Then, you can do your own programming or start off with a tune from madz28.com. A whole lot more fun and educational than the Hypertech. You can also use some free datalogging software like Freescan or trial download of Datamaster. IMO, datalogging is a must if you are going to be doing any programming of your own.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2cub49
The Hypertech tune adds a little seat of the pants feel for some guys. A little more advance.
I saved the program with LT-1 Edit before I sold my HPP3. It will also ping unless you run premium whereas the factory tune will adjust for 89 or even 87 octane.
I'm running one of Ion's tunes right now and it works great for my S/C application.
I also have the unlimited updates for future mods.
Yeah, the Hypertech FAQ's said that they offer two kinds of tuning....one for regular gas and one for premium gas. My brother-in-law said that after his Hypertech tune, he used premium all the time. I would be doing the same thing; I'd do the Hypertech premium octane tune.