General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What can I take off of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM

What can I take off of the car?

I've got a 2000 SS, automatic. What I'd like to know is what can I completely remove from the engine bay (or whole car) to make it lighter, neater looking, and better performance?

I've looked up a few free mods, but I can't find what they actually do. Or rather, I don't understand them. So if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could I get a list of the free mods, and an explanation of how they actually work? The more I understand about my car, the better. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Re: What can I take off of the car?

there really are not many free mods for the LS1.

the FRA (free ram air) allows more air into the airbox, but since you have the SS ram air you may not want to do that.

other than that maybe you could port the throttle body. which increases air flow a little bit.

as for parts to remove, you could pull the AIR and EGR stuff, but you'll have to get blockoff plates, and have the code removed from the comuter to get rid of the SES light (or just deal with it being on).
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Hood, hatch, doors and wheels. That will get you a few hundred pounds lighter
Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM

When you say port...???

How much are block off plates? And what does the EGR and air stuff do exactly, anyway? I've always wanted to know that.

My SES light is on anyway. My cats are clogging up I think, or there's a problem with them. As soon as I get some headers and another Y-pipe, I'll be taking those out.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JeicetheDamned
When you say port...???

How much are block off plates? And what does the EGR and air stuff do exactly, anyway? I've always wanted to know that.

My SES light is on anyway. My cats are clogging up I think, or there's a problem with them. As soon as I get some headers and another Y-pipe, I'll be taking those out.
When he says port...he means http://www.phantomss.com/camaro/port...uct=ls1lidplug

Block off plates are something you can make yourself with a little scrap sheet metal. Just make sure it's thick enough so it won't warp and your gaskets are in good shape. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) helps emissions on your car by redirecting some of the exhaust back into the intake. The cars without EGR have a different cam and don't need this system. The AIR system injects clean air into the exhaust during intial start up. I believe it's to prolong the life of the cats. There's no need for it if you don't have any cats.

Find someone with HPTuners for your model year and they can get rid of that SES light for you.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:08 PM

So I wouldn't need that air system anyway since my cats are clogging up. I yanked my y-pipe out anyway, so it's all good. Wow. Excellent. Thank you so much for that bit of info. Hopefully I'll get around to taking this stuff out this weekend, but if not, at least I know how it works now and what it does. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:27 PM

This is what I've removed so far

Spare tire/jack
EGR, rubber hoses in the engine bay
Front sway bar, both front sway bar brackets
Back seats (for now, might put them back, might keep them out for the bottle, I don't know)

If there's anything on the car that I don't "need" I'll remove it, but this is all I've come across. I don't know if there's a ton of things you can remove to recude weight. I know you can replace carpets and body pannels, but that's pretty expensive for the weight savings. Removing the front sway bar seemed to help slightly on launches
Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM

I thought that the AIR sytem injected clean air on start up for emissions purposes. Apparently it helps burn up the unburnt gas left in the exhaust.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:23 PM

It plugs straight into the cats, something I don't have No need for it
Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM

The one thing you can remove and would help performance in every way would be the Spare tire/ Jack.
Sway bars will make you lighter, but hurt your handling.