General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What is a "Camaro Z29"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Question What is a "Camaro Z29"?

I was recently having keys made for my 95 camaro at Wal-mart. When I handed him the key and told him it was a 95 Camaro (it's all computerized, so he was looking up what key to use) he then asked me if it was a Z28 or a Z29. I responded that mine was just the simple base V6 camaro and that to my knowledge there was no such thing as a "Camaro Z29". He then responded rather quickly that "YES, There IS!".

I asked him was a "Z29" camaro was and he then stated that it is a "smaller camaro". I asked him if he meant engine wise or body-style and he replied that the Z29's have a smaller body (supposedly they're LITERALLY a "smaller camaro").

I stopped arguing and decided to google a little bit. So far I have found several references to the Camaro Z29. Most of which seemed to be typos, a few seemed to be referencing an SS Camaro.

I know I don't know much about this subject, but IF there is such a thing as a Z29, my suspicion is that it isn't like the Wal-mart guy says. I highly doubt that there is a midget-sized camaro running around, but who knows.

Let me know what a Z29 Camaro is guys so I can put this to rest
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

a z29 it one better than a z28.

This is top secret...not many z29's will ever be found. They were sesigned for space travel in another galaxy. That wal-mart guy should not have told you the secret!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

The Firebird/Camaro RPO code list shows that RPO Z29 is a vinyl stripe.

http://www.marshu.com/ws6-firebird-c...codes-2000.php
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Let me get this straight, a "Z29" Camaro is simply a camaro that came stock with a Vinyl Stripe? WAL-MART's key-cutting computer believes that a VINYL STRIPE can affect what type of key is necessary? WTF, lol. I'm going to try and give Walmart the benefit of a doubt and say that there HAS to be more to this..... I hope
Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM

No, no. A Z29 is what I had. I have proof. I had to have work done on my car recently and they charged me for 9 spark plugs. So I have a Z29-a 9 cylinder Camaro. Or at least I had one. I made them take one plug off the bill. Damn! I had real collectors item and I had to go and screw it up!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM

The Mecham Camaro Z29 & Z29R Series

THis is probably what he was talking about......

http://www.mechamperformance.com/m_docs/z29r.html

In 1979 the first Z29R ran the road courses of the Southwest United States setting three track records in six events and qualifying on the pole at Road Atlanta for the SCCA Runoffs. Street versions of the car were produced in such small numbers that these cars remain some of Mecham's rarest creations.

In 1999 the first modern Z29R's were produced. The Z29R includes the full measure of standard and optional performance available in the Mecham T/A. In standard form the Z29R performance levels are elevated in every category: Improved handling, quicker acceleration, effective aerodynamics, and striking appearance.

If you want more, the Z29R has an extensive list of options that provide you the ability to further enhance and individualize your vehicle's appearance and performance capabilities. Once the equipment and appearance decisions are made, each Z29R is series numbered and fully documented.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Like the automotive department at Wal Mart knows what is going on...
Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 AM

I wouldn't let the automotive department at walmart anywhere near my car..I know that you were just having a key made but I thought the idea of anyone letting walmart service their car is insane.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor

Wow, those guys must really be proud of their stuff....

ONLY $6,299.00 for pretty much what the SS package would get you plus different gearing.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 AM

If WAMART says it a Z29 that it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 AM

lol i saw a really rare 4 door Z28 SS the other day......

it was disguised as a Geo Prism

(i wish i would have snapped a pic, it was a white 4 door mid 90s POS geo prism and it had lime green decals on the side that said Z28 SS )
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor

In 1979 the first Z29R ran the road courses of the Southwest United States setting three track records in six events and qualifying on the pole at Road Atlanta for the SCCA Runoffs. Street versions of the car were produced in such small numbers that these cars remain some of Mecham's rarest creations.

In 1999 the first modern Z29R's were produced. The Z29R includes the full measure of standard and optional performance available in the Mecham T/A. In standard form the Z29R performance levels are elevated in every category: Improved handling, quicker acceleration, effective aerodynamics, and striking appearance.

If you want more, the Z29R has an extensive list of options that provide you the ability to further enhance and individualize your vehicle's appearance and performance capabilities. Once the equipment and appearance decisions are made, each Z29R is series numbered and fully documented.
I think your just mudding the water. This "Z29" badging is just made up by Mecham. It is NOT official GM, and the cars are NOT any smaller. This is the same as Berger, Callaway, et.al.

P.S. And K-Mart wouldn't have a clue about these!!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
They were sesigned for space travel in another galaxy. That wal-mart guy should not have told you the secret!

Expect a knock at your door shortly
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
I think your just mudding the water. This "Z29" badging is just made up by Mecham. It is NOT official GM, and the cars are NOT any smaller. This is the same as Berger, Callaway, et.al.

P.S. And K-Mart wouldn't have a clue about these!!!!
Mudding the waters?????? I think not..... The original question was, " What is a "Camaro Z29"? "

I answered the question..... Anyone that read the article I post would know that it was a Mecham production, not GM.... No where it states GM?????

As for the Walmart guy, I wasnt there, and could only speculate....

But I do perfer this Z29;

Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Gotta watch those department store computers - I had an issue returning a sears diehard gold 525 CCA battery that died in just a couple years - didn't know at the time of purchase the car takes a 690 CCA like stated in helms. They checked the "computer" and it said 525 was fine (listed same battery for V6/V8) - told them no thanks and they gave me full credit towards an optima red top w/720.

Quick Reply: What is a "Camaro Z29"?