General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

weight reductions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:09 PM

weight reductions?

as of right now most of my car is already apart because I am doing some stuff to it... I was wondering what all I could take/leave out of the car to drop some weight aside from taking out the A/C and related components, spare, and rear seats. Keep in mind that this is going to be a street car, so I am not taking out stuff like bumper supports. What else do you guys take out to lose some weight, i've seen poeple on here between the range of 3,000-3,300 lbs. i'd like to get my car aroung there without removing important stuff, if possible. Also what do f-bodies (fully loaded) weigh factory, i've read around 3,800.. is that correct?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 PM

Re: weight reductions?

Here's a breakdown of specific weights of various components. Youv'e probably seen it before:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/weights.htm

At the bottom, it says his car weighs in at 3610 lbs., but thats not stock.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:39 PM

I was just thinking about that?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 AM

It depends on how far you want to go.
I am currently stripping down my 94 as its going to be a weekend car cruise/late night street racer/track car.
I am taking out stuff I don,t think you would even consider: cruise control, E brake, I am swapping my 6 way power adjuster for a manual, HVAC everything and anything to do with interior heat or AC, I have removed the front bumper support and will going after the rear one.
Your limited to the basics if you want to keep it a "real" street car.
Backseats and seatbelts, spare and jack, AC compressor, accumulator, condenser and if your hardcore take the EVAP core with it. Keep in mind you will lose heat unless you fab something up. Getting that EVAP core out is beyond a bitch so be ready if you go that far.
Seriously consider what you want to do with the car and then use your best judgement on how far you want to go.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM

It's funny I remember reading the hayes manual and it actually has a note that says something like this (paraphrasing), don't take out the EVAP Core unless you really have to because it's a real bitch.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

There's a weight reduction thread on ls1tech.com that has a lot of helpful info:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archiv...p/t-17319.html

Moving to "General F-Body Tech"......
Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 PM

dang ol sheetmetal man. ol' dang engine block maker 'er fat too man ol' block i mean.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by revtime
I am taking out stuff I don,t think you would even consider ... interior heat ...
I did the same thing on my Nissan back in the states, but I left heating, due to the fact that it is quite usefull on cold days to defog windows/windshield. I'm curious as to how you plan on coping with this?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by flohtingPoint
I did the same thing on my Nissan back in the states, but I left heating, due to the fact that it is quite usefull on cold days to defog windows/windshield. I'm curious as to how you plan on coping with this?

I keep a 12 volt hair dryer in my race cars
Old 08-07-2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1996LT1NY
I keep a 12 volt hair dryer in my race cars
Thats not too bad of an idea, how long does it stay defogged though, 1-2 minutes max? I mean, thats enough to get through a solo II course, or a drag launch, but I was talking more long term kinda thing, sorry I didnt specify. I'd love to gut the hell out of my current vehicle here in Germany, but the shear length of Nurburgring requires some form of keeping those windows clear for a decent amount of time.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:44 AM

damn I wish I could run the nurburging, thats such a sick course, it's gotta take some time to master a road course that long.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 AM

I have given this some thought, the hair dryer thing was mulled over as well and I still may have one on hand just in case but the big thing is it will only be driven during the summer on weekends and warm summer nites at the stoplight drags.
To be honest the heat hasn,t worked for 2 years (clogged heater core I think) and I still drove the car most of the year.
RainX makes a product for fogging as well and if it works like the RainX does for rain then I won,t have a problem.
Its just not going to be driven if the weather don,t cooperate.