General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Water on the passengerside floor :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM

Water on the passengerside floor :(

Hey all, i noticed that tonight after i was getting out of my car i dropped my books on my passenger side floor, and when i reached over to pick them up the floor was wet. Atleast the side on the right hand side of the cat hump, it trailed back to where the bolt is for the seat, i lifted up the mat and it was all wet under there as well. It went all the way to behind the wheel well on the front passenger side. Now, i dont think it was my heater, since it was blowing heat fine, on the ride home. It might have been leaky t-tops but they were on tight? Plus if it was the t-tops i dont think it would have gone under the floor mat plus the carpeting. So it must be something internal...Not sure where it was comeing from anyone have any ideas? thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 PM

The same thing happened to my 97 camaro when I was in Jacksonville, FL. (Lots of rain). I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't re-create the problem so I parked it every which way - nose up, nose down, on and angle...you get the picture...Well anyway, with the nose up a little the water came in from back behind the glove box.

Without ripping out the entire dash or resealing the windshield I traded it in for my Z - I didn't want to screw with it anymore without dealer support (It was under warranty - good 'ol GM lookin' out for the little guy).

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 PM

If it was your heater core you would smell the coolant easily. One thing I'm thinking maybe its the clogged a/c evap. seen that happen before on different cars where the pass floor would be wet because the evap was clogged. Also remember that you use your a/c whenever you have front windshield defog on.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:29 PM

Thumbs up

If there is no smella of antifreeze (= leaking heater core), it most likely is just that the AC drain is clogged. Very common to get leaves in there to clog it.

TS
Old 04-05-2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
If there is no smella of antifreeze (= leaking heater core), it most likely is just that the AC drain is clogged. Very common to get leaves in there to clog it.

TS
That's what I meant by my previous post
Old 04-06-2004, 08:39 AM

Welcome to my nightmare. It still COULD be the AC drain line, but it isn't with mine...I just have a leaky Z. If I park with my nose facing uphill, it comes in behind the glove box, if I park with the nose facing downhill, then it comes in through my hatch on the driver's side and floods the back seat.

I've replace mildewed carpet padding on several occassions.

Oh yeah, I DON'T have T-Tops.

I finally found a fix though...I bought a house with a garage and my Z doesn't sit out in the rain anymore...
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 AM

thanks guys, the funny thing was i wasnt useing the defog yesterday and it didnt rain. I mean some water might have drained onto my car a little ( i park in a parkign garage at work) from the upper levels but other then that it was a fairly dry day. Also i smelt no antifreeze or odor of anysort. its just water. Where would the evap pump be? Or the AC drain? I bet it was from all the leaves i havent had a chance to clean them all out from behind the wipers since it keeps snowing or is below 30 and friggin 30mph wind gusts. Cant even wash the car.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:24 PM

Another place to look is the grommet below the PCM. When I ran my fan switch wires the cavity was full of wet leaves - if it's not seated properly/not sealed after running wires through it that could be the source. The A/C condensate drain is hard to find, you'll have to get under the car and search with a flashlight.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM

It could be a rubber seal that diverts water away from the fan intake. Apparently this happens to Grand Prix's too, including my GTP (haven't fixed it yet, but it hasn't showed up in months). Basically just pull off the wipers and the black plastic and look for a rubber piece thats loose or come off. Try resealing it if this is the case. Also try removing any crap that has accumulated in the area. If neither of those two things fix it, it might be the AC drain that has gotten clogged up.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 PM

This could be a GM problem because a former co-worker with a new Grand Am had water all over her passenger side floor after work one day.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 PM

I had the same problem in my old third gen, by chance I noticed my passenger footwell had a puddle of water in it, I did'nt notice a smell but on quick inspection of the coolant level I noticed that it had lost a lot of water.

My heater matrix had burst check the coolant level so you can be sure
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by CamaroUK
I had the same problem in my old third gen, by chance I noticed my passenger footwell had a puddle of water in it, I did'nt notice a smell but on quick inspection of the coolant level I noticed that it had lost a lot of water.

My heater matrix had burst check the coolant level so you can be sure
I hope that didnt happen. But i was running the heat again today and i didnt notice a smell, or anything. It blew hot air just fine.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 PM

This sounds just like my story. That sorta happened to my 97 camaro. I was running some wires and noticed it. I found it to be a rubber gromit just to the side of the cat hump. It had rained a lot so...yea. Its a piece that plugs a hole in the frame and floor board. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by 1KillerV6
This sounds just like my story. That sorta happened to my 97 camaro. I was running some wires and noticed it. I found it to be a rubber gromit just to the side of the cat hump. It had rained a lot so...yea. Its a piece that plugs a hole in the frame and floor board. Good Luck
Is it under the carpet? I dont know why gm would put a hole in the floor board?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:22 PM

have same prob in my 98, I read a post in the V6 section saying something about the firwall welds or something? but yeah, now i leave it in the garage so i dont think about it anymore

Quick Reply: Water on the passengerside floor :(