General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

water on passenger side floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM

water on passenger side floor

A couple weeks ago it rained hard here in Florida for about three days straight. On the last day I noticed a decent size puddle of water on the passenger side floor. Well, I believed the water to be entering at the rear of the window since I could slide paper through this area much easier than at the front. So, I adjusted the rear of the window and hoped that my problems were solved. Today it rained again and when I came out to my car after work I noticed a couple drops in the passenger side foot area. I took the dash out from underneath and noticed that it was damp as if water had been collecting in it.
1.) It is water, not coolant
3.) It's dripping inside the dash and then onto the floor.
2.) Wires around the metal canister attached to the hvac were wet.
Based on a search some things that have been reported on the seam welds, rubber grommet in the firewall, and upper windshield area leak.
I did notice some tape below the carpet that appears to be covering up the lower portion of the hvac entry point. Beneath the tape appears to be a putty of some sort. Is this factory? I wish I could get a picture but I don't have a camera on me at the moment. Sorry, for the long post

Last edited by z28_4life; 01-09-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM

either leaking from your t-tops seal or passenger side window at the seal.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Either way your thinking a seal then? Could it be traveling down the a-piller inside of the dash piece. I'm not sure if there's an entry point to under the dash within there or not. Here's something that will make this even more bizzar though. I haven't had heat for a while but I just assumed it was because the car ran so cold with the 160 t-stat (never goes above 1/4 while moving). Soo, today I decided to let the car warm up before I went into work and after it got to about 1/3 (don't have pcm tuned to turn fans on at idle yet) I still felt no heat coming out, just cool air. Again, it's not coolant on the ground though.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Have you been running the defroster? That will turn on the A/C, and a plugged drain from the heater box will cause water/condensate to drip on the floor.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Have you been running the defroster? That will turn on the A/C, and a plugged drain from the heater box will cause water/condensate to drip on the floor.
Yea, I have been running the defroster quite a bit in the morning. These windows seem to fog up VERY easy. Where can I find the drain plug for the heater box? I'll try and rule that out next.
Btw, here is a picture of the upper windshield area. You'll notice it does separate ever so slightly from the seal line at the top. Both sides are like this. Are these just the factory lines to flow over the t-tops?

Here is a picture of the tape/puddy located on the bottom of hvac/firewall area.

btw, I love the fact that i can take pictures with my phone, send them to my email, post them up on photobucket and then onto here.

Last edited by z28_4life; 01-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.