General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

water on floor behind passenger seat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 AM
01Z

Originally Posted by Oxygen454
Also I noticed that the seal on the bottom of the door where the kick plate is, has a oval notch out hole that seems to pool along the door edging at the bottom. What is the reason for the notch out??
I have read that the seal itself acts as a drain tube. There are holes on top where water can enter and then exit through that lower outlet you describe.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 PM

My windshield seems fine. I had a hose I rigged up on my car and I did have a few leaks but the major leak i could not find. I saw the water slowly filling up in the back floor board. I pulled back the carpet and am not sure where the heck its coming from. There is no water in the front seat floor boards, just the back floor board and under the back seats. Right now I am driving around with all the plugs our of the back floor boards haha.

I do have a minor leak where the t-top meets the front roof frame of my car, when I hit the breaks the water then pours out of there. But when the car is parked and hosed, not much water comes from there. So I have a major leak from somewhere else and havent been able to find it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 PM

...the weird thing is not only the rear floor boards are filling with water but also under the rear seat, so I may have two different leaks. The water couldent go over the hump without filling a major amount. The worst I have had was close to about 1 1/2 of water in the rear under the seat and rear floor board. So far no signs of rusting so that is good... and side note... the water seems to pool when the cars sitting so its not coming from under the car.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen454
...the weird thing is not only the rear floor boards are filling with water but also under the rear seat, so I may have two different leaks. The water couldent go over the hump without filling a major amount. The worst I have had was close to about 1 1/2 of water in the rear under the seat and rear floor board. So far no signs of rusting so that is good... and side note... the water seems to pool when the cars sitting so its not coming from under the car.

This has to be really aggravating.

I'm no expert, but I'd be very suspicious of the T-Top/Door weatherstripping. Could even be a window or door adjustment needed. Seems like this would be the critical spot where water would be channeling and somehow not exiting properly. Water that overwhelms a certain spot, will seek its exit somewhere.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM

I had the same problem and thought it was my weather stripping.

Turns out the wires I ran through the firewall (access holes under the PCM) for my guages were the culprit. Water was somehow getting under the hood, getting on the wire, running down the wire through the grommet, down the floor all the way to the rear passenger area.

A small tube of GE Silicone fixed that, and I sat the carpet upside in the sun a few hot summer days.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 PM

I had a similar problem with my last vehicle....never checked into it....just traded it in. It was a mystery though. No TTops. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Ya I dont know where its coming in from but I am getting ready to rip out the seats and carpet. Have to dry that stuff out anyways.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM

The leak I had was coming from the passenger side T-top, when the top is out there is that one bolt that holds down the weather striping. The water was coming underneath that weather striping (mine was corroded) that is under the bolt. I loosened the bolt and went crazy with a silicon sealant glue for weather striping then tightened the bolt on top of silicon once it dried up. No more leaks for me! I could see the water coming in (before i fixed the leak) where that slot is for the seat belt to go into in the roof or whatever. The water would trickle down the seatbelt getting all the way under my passenger seat. One more thing,before I found the leak I took out that rubber drain plug under the car that is directly in that behind the passenger seat floor board area to stop the water from collecting to much.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Found the leak, didn't have to rip out the carpet. Its coming from between the t-top and the edge where the t-top meets the car frame. How do I fix this?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

I've had that same problem in my 1994 Z28. Twice water has gotten into the floor behind the passengers seat. Both times it happened during a really heavy rain while it was parked. After the second time, I took out all the seats, panels, etc. and got inside and had a friend spray everywhere with a garden hose but could never see exactly where it was coming from with the hatch shut. I do know the leak is up where the hatch and rear quarter panel meet and then the water runs down behind the interior panels to the carpet.

Anyway, I did notice that both times it happened the car was parked nose first in the driveway on an incline downwards. So my temporary solution (going on 3 years now) is to back the car in the driveway so that gravity never lets that water flow towards the leak. It's been thru some pretty heavy rains since then and has stayed bone dry.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM

I thought the incline was a issue too so I backed in like tiafn2 said and did not stop the water from coming in. I think it is coming from the window area.

My biggest obstical now is trying to find a place here in the lower mainland of BC canada to get this repaired or replaced. Im getting white mold on my rear hatch flip down cover, this is not good!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 AM

water

i had a 93 no ttops had water and salt under rear seat found a hole above rear wheel big enough to put your hand thru once i poked around a little once i patched that fixed the problem dont forget these areas hope it helps
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM

I have checked the body out inside and out, no rust, no holes, and the waters clean so I don't think its coming from the bottom. This sucks!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Well if it's like mine and tiafn2s, it's water overflowing the Hatch Channels, rising up and overflowing down the sail panels and into the interior

My solution was to drill small drain holes on the hatch channels so that the water wouldn't pool up as quickly Parking the car in the opposite direction didn't help me, as mine would even occur when parked on flat ground

If it's an issue with the windows not sealing against the top seals:
ShoeBox's Window Adjustment Page

Also if it's a tiny hole or such you could try a Little RTV Sealant
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM

my 82 did the same thing, the t-top seals are not difficult to replace, but unfortunately they are kind of expensive, but if i were you i would not try to redneck rig it, i would simply grit my teeth and buy some new seals. sorry but i think that is pretty much the best way to do it

Quick Reply: water on floor behind passenger seat!