General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ultra-Z hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Ultra-Z hood

On the SLP site, it says the Ultra-Z hood is designed to use your stock air box and "generates" up to 15hp on LS1's.

My question is... is this statement true, or just a marketing ploy? The stock LS1 air box isn't designed for ram air applications, is it?
Basically, how does the Ultra-Z work? How does it achieve a ram air effect using a stock air box?

Also, would getting a high-flow lid, or an actual ram air lid to compliment the Ultra-Z hood increase air flow and power gains?

So many questions... I know
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 PM

15 hp is a marketing ploy. Many people even argue if ram air exists on cars. If there is a ram air effect on cars it cvaries by how fast you are going. I think the ultra Z hood requires the ram air box. Without the intake that seals directly to the hood you will see little to no gains for sure. Personally, I wouldn't buy the ultra Z hood for performance, it's more for appearance.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Well, I really do like the way it looks, from what I've seen so far.

Maybe in order for it to work properly, you need to remove the lid from the air box? By the way I figure it, if the lid was removed, the air filter would be directly behind/under the scoop, thereby getting the cold air flow.

I'm just guessing there... but it makes sense.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by 99blackSS
15 hp is a marketing ploy. Many people even argue if ram air exists on cars. If there is a ram air effect on cars it cvaries by how fast you are going. I think the ultra Z hood requires the ram air box. Without the intake that seals directly to the hood you will see little to no gains for sure. Personally, I wouldn't buy the ultra Z hood for performance, it's more for appearance.
I have the Ultra Z hood. If you look at your air lid, you can see a gap under the lid. Thats where the air enters. With this hood, it has the air pointing directly at that gap. There is no seal or anything so I don't know of any true gains, but it does blow air where it enters the lid.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:04 PM

I used to have the ultraZ hood on a 1995 Z. I know it is a slightly different setup than the LS1, but I saw no improvements over my SLP CAI that I had previously.

I think of "ramair" as a gimmic. Unless you are really going ilegally fast, it doesnt really create any PSI in the intake manifold.

That is not to say I would not buy the ultraZ hood. I really like that hood, and it performs as well as any CAI. It looks great, too.