General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Trying to replace rear hatch window

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 04:54 PM

Cool Trying to replace rear hatch window

I've got an 86 Z28. I bought a used piece of rear glass to replace one that is in it now. It had been replaced a few years ago with a wavy, crappy looking aftermarket piece of glass. Here's my questions/problems:

The black metal trim band that goes around the outside of the hatch glass on the replacement is pitted and rusty, to the point that I doubt sanding, priming and painting will look good. The trim band on the car now with teh crappy glass looks great. Is it a big deal to remove these metal trim bands and swap them? I know that the trim band is also a bracket at the bottom which helps attach it to the rear decklid. Is there a particular brand/name of adhesive that also helps attach the trim band?

Also, what is used to seal the glass against the decklid? When I removed the 20+ year old decklid from the replacement glass it looked to be a gooey black sealant that had a string running through it...kinda looked like it was some sort of thick rubbery tape that you press down against the metal when you install it...not sure. Anybody know what this stuff is? Name Brand?

Any other installation tips, or internewt articles oyu could point me to on doing this job would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANK YOU!