General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

transmission filter/fluid change how to

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:36 AM

Re: transmission filter/fluid change how to

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
I think the back of the owner's manual says to change tranny fluid at 75k or 100k miles... not sure. Check the back of your manual, it's got suggested service intervals.
Ya, that's good for a ball park guess. But I wouldn't wait that long to change it, I change it when it smells burnt and isn't very red. That will save your transmission, if you wait till 100,000 miles you are risking it. Unless you drive like a grandma, but if you drive like a normal sports car driver you'll burn the fluid long before 100,000.

Of course it's easy for me to change the fluid. We have a tranny flush machine at work. So it only takes like 10 minutes to change all the fluid, not just the stuff in the pan.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by RENE95Z
A Haynes manual has a pretty decent step by step. But, in a nutshell; get the car elevated high enough and on jackstands so you can get underneath. Start by loosening all the bolts around the pan. Remove all the bolts on the rear of the pan and then evenly loosen the bolts on the front of the pan to allow the rear to tilt down and drain (make sure you have plenty of newspaper laying around). Continue to loosen the bolts on the sides of the pan also. Eventually you will get to the point where one hand is holding the pan and the other hand is unscrewing the bolts. Be careful or you will be wearing some fluid.

Once the pan is off, clean it with gas or some other similar type cleaner (no H2O) and dry the pan real good. Drops of fluid will continue to drip from the transmission while you are doing this (newspaper). Pull the filter out and reinsert the new filter and then just reverse the process.

This is not a hard job, just a messy job. Also, I had to remove a linkage of some sort on the side of the pan to get the pan off (do this first). However, this was on a 95, so I have no idea if you will have to do the same or not.

Hope this helps.
I have some questions about the actual filter exchanging process. I did mine pretty much exactly how you said to (but for an automatic tranny) and when I went to drive it all my power was gone. The rpm's that would usually make my tires spin now barely gets me going. I think what happened is I didn't put the filter in good enough. Any pointers?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Someone should definitely give me some advice for mine
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Check the fluid level and/or recheck your work.