General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

transmission filter/fluid change how to

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:10 AM

Re: transmission filter/fluid change how to

I have 97k, and I have no clue if it has ever been changed. I guess Ill do it this week.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 AM

what about the A4 guys? is it tough...im sure it isnt as easy as the M6 tranny's....
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZBoy
what about the A4 guys? is it tough...im sure it isnt as easy as the M6 tranny's....
GM recommends it every 30k miles. From my experience, that seems to be a pretty good interval.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:03 PM

Change A4 fluid every 30K? I thought it was every 15-20K or is that too often? I forget..thats why Im peeking my head in this thread...

Originally Posted by Spinner
GM recommends it every 30k miles. From my experience, that seems to be a pretty good interval.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:39 PM

114K hard miles no M6. Should I change?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:04 AM

where do you refill it?
Old 11-21-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CHRISCAMARO
where do you refill it?
Drain from pan, refill from dipstick with a funnel
Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CHRISCAMARO
where do you refill it?
If it's the 6 speed like in your sig. One the driver side there is another plug just like the drain plug but higher up. Take it out and refill from there.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:30 PM

you re-fill tranny fluid for A4's down the dipstick? What kind of tranny fluid is real good any suggestions?

Cory
Old 11-21-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZBoy
you re-fill tranny fluid for A4's down the dipstick? What kind of tranny fluid is real good any suggestions?

Cory
Correct. Dexron III is the stuff you wanna use. Some people will say use Honda ATF, Mobil 1 ATF. I'm sure there are little differences between them but as long as you use any ATF that say it complies with Dexron III specs, you'll be fine.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:40 PM

When i had a shift kit installed at a tranny shop,stall etc, now got my stock tc back, the tranny shop i assume changed my fluid, now sometimes my car will not go into overdrive, stays in fourth gear-had the shift points redone where as overdrive kicks in about 55mph--Do you guys think the tranny fluid they use has something to do with whether or not it goes into od? Sometimes i have no problem at all, thought i read that the fluid could affect when od kicks in. Thanks Dwayne
Old 11-22-2004, 01:23 AM

On my A4 Z28 I changed the fluid in the pan along with the filter first. I filled the Transmission pan with fresh ATF (I think it is 4 quarts) Next I disconnected the return line to the transmission which is after the radiator I believe (it's been a while since I did this) I attached a barbed plastic connector I got at pepboy's so I could attach a four foot length of hose and ran it into an empty diposable container.

You don't even have to jack car up to do this but it helps.

Then we flushed out the transmission by having a friend crank the car until a quart or so came out. I'd put a quart in, crank a quart out, etc. I did this until the fluid ran clear. I did not use synthetic I read that synthetic runs at a different line pressure and is not the best for a electronic transmissions,(don't quote me on that but I choose to er on the safe side) any brand Dextron III will do really. I used Valvoline for high mileage cars as it has some adhesion inhibitors for the clutches. The following is what I used...

http://www.valvoline.com/maxlife/

It's a messy job but your A4 will love you for it, anything we can do to prevent them from grenading is a plus. Do yourself a favor and get a Felpro gasket, they come in a flat box and not that rolled up cork (cork is fine but you have a better chance at a leak)

that's how I did mine and it worked great
Old 11-22-2004, 01:35 AM

I was thinking another way you can do a much better flush than just the three or four quarts in the pan which is all you swap out with a regular change. By installing a simple drain plug while you have the pan off you can run the car for a while (maybe in a day maybe over the period of a week) and drain out four quarts, then fill up with four quarts, drain, fill...eventually you would clear it all out.

I would never take my car to a shop to have it flushed...I trust no-one. might wind up with a transmission with crap in it not crap out of it.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:26 AM

I think the back of the owner's manual says to change tranny fluid at 75k or 100k miles... not sure. Check the back of your manual, it's got suggested service intervals.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by BadCo.
I was thinking another way you can do a much better flush than just the three or four quarts in the pan which is all you swap out with a regular change. By installing a simple drain plug while you have the pan off you can run the car for a while (maybe in a day maybe over the period of a week) and drain out four quarts, then fill up with four quarts, drain, fill...eventually you would clear it all out.

I would never take my car to a shop to have it flushed...I trust no-one. might wind up with a transmission with crap in it not crap out of it.
Unfortunately, that isnt how it works. The dipstick dumps it straight into the pan, anything you add wont circulate through the trans until the car is run though the gears a few times.

Quick Reply: transmission filter/fluid change how to