General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Switch Repair-operation of power tops in the 1993-1995 Z28 and Base convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:43 AM

Switch Repair-operation of power tops in the 1993-1995 Z28 and Base convertibles

Switch Repair/operation of power tops in the 1993-1995 Z28 and Base convertibles

I have seen several inquiries concerning the operation of power tops in the 1993-1995 (and possibly others) Z28 and Base convertibles. If you are having a problem with no/and/or very intermittent operation, try these steps.

1. Remove the power top/cigar switch bezel. A wide flat-blade screwdriver may assist without scoring the console area.

2. First, check the voltage on the power top female connector. If it's reading 12 volts on one contact, and there are no hydraulic problems, chances are it CAN be repaired without trying to run down this very scarce power switch.

3. Remove the switch from the plate/bezel also containing the cigar lighter. Carefully, prying back the various plastic tabs, separating all three plastic parts. You also have the rocker Up/Down switch as a separate part.

4. These next steps are very important if your operation is going to be successful! There are 4 (four) separate long blade male terminals on the bottom of the main switch assembly. Notice that the short flat connections coming out of the switch housing have a slight "twist" to hold the male connectors in place, as well making electrical contact.

5. Using a small needle-nosed priers, carefully twist these six connection points clockwise back into line with the slots cut into the male connectors. This will allow you to remove/slide off the male connectors.

6. Carefully layout these loose parts (make a diagram if needed) so reassembly will go smoothly.

7. Next, inside the switch assembly notice the four reed-type contact set of points. They are much like the contacts in relays. They probably have wear and carbon build-up, making good constant electrical connection impossible.

8. Using a small file or tiny strips of sandpaper, carefully file these points until they are shiny and smooth bright copper. One of the cheap cardboard or plastic "give-away" files will do the job nicely. One note: the switch on my 94 Z28 had worn two contacts down at an angle, therefore not making enough electrical connection to pass the (possibly up to 25 amps) current properly. I had to file those points at a slight angle to get FULL CONTACT between all the points.

9. Now, install the four male connectors back onto the main switch assembly. Here is the tricky step...while holding each connector in place, using the priers, twist "counter-clockwise" (reverse of disassembly) a few degrees until all four sets are properly seated and making good firm connections. Another note: two of my switch assembly connections were too loose for proper contact without causing intermittent operation. I decided to solder all six of the twisted tabbed connections. I am assured of good operation, but this may negate further repair if the switch ever stops working again. It could possibly be repaired once more by de-soldering these connections and doing the "twist" on the male connections. However, if one of the twisted parts breaks off, that would require a salvage or parts switch to do this operation all over again.

10. At this step plug the bare switch into the main female connector at the console. Turn the ignition to "on" or crank the vehicle and try operating the switch. It should run the top up and down smoothly if there are not other problems.

11. Remove the switch again and reassemble into the main plastic housing that plugs into the console plate. If it does not push far enough down to lock into place, file or grind down some of the plastic parts in the bottom of the housing. Since I soldered mine I also ground down some of the solder right next to the four inline tabbed male connectors until the switch assembly "snapped" into place.

12. Slide the completed switch assembly into the cigar lighter plate, make the connections to the cigar lighter and the power top switch, push the plate into the console...cross your fingers and hope it still works!

This repair job may get you another 10-15 years of top-down enjoyment! If you don't want to tackle this, let know, and I'll do it for you. Thanks.