General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

suggestions and help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM

Question suggestions and help needed

I am currently looking at what to do exhaust wise. I wan to put headers on, put a new muffler on and hollow out the cat. i was thinking of running 3 inch exhuast once i got headers. my 95 z28 is my daily driver. i am looking for somthing to sound deep, mean, and aggressive. i guess you could say i want to stand out . i just need suggestions for different parts or whatever. im not all that knowledgable in exhaust so help is greatly needed. thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Re: suggestions and help needed

I think Borla and Magnaflow are the options you should consider. Search for "LT1 Borla" and "LT1 Magnaflow" on YouTube to hear what they sound like!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Hollowing the cat probably does more damage than good. It will introduce turbulence where none existed before, and turbulence causes pressure loss. And the hollow can makes the exhaust sound terrible. If you just can't live with the cat (and it really doesn't cost much HP) replace it with a straight piece of pipe, or drive a straight piece of pipe through the can from one end to the other.

If you want "loud", install a cutout.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 PM

I just ordered the Magnaflow catback from The Converter shack on e-bay $387.72 shipped to my house.Everybody on ebay wanted over $500.00.Ordered it this past Monday,and it arrived today.The Shack is in Florida,and I'm 100 miles from the magnaflow warehouse here in Ca. I just opened the box and I gotta say these are some monster pipes(to me anyway).I heard the sound clips on utube and I'm ok with the sound.I wanted to get the cat forward 3" that includes the cat (CA.)but Magnaflow is out of stock till Feb 5,and nobody in the world has it right now (new).I'm just going to put my order in anyway and have these installed at the same time when it comes.I wanted to do this with my last f-body,but was raising a family,so I'm steppin up to the plate now.Hope I have enough money left over for a dyno.Sorry for the long post,but I'm jazzed right now.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM

I would go with the magnaflow muffler , long tube ceramic headers
If your budget is tight and you need a loud fire breathing monster buy nothing but
An electronic cut out around a hundred dollars
Old 01-20-2016, 12:39 PM

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM

Well I e-mailed Magnaflow last night asking why the delay from December to January,then to February 5 and low and behold they now have 12 in stock(Cat forward with cat and 3" y-pipe).E-bay was $447. and the Converter Shack is $335.45 shipped to my house.I placed my order tonight.I'm so jazzed.I really didn't need the cat but I could not get a 3" y-pipe(Ca. Legal) anywhere else so why not.Should be here in a few days.Hope this helps.The 3 inch y adds 10 hp.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 PM

So on the 4th gen maros with the LT1 engines, how do you run true dual exhuast? is it possible? cause i was wanting to and was told i couldnt because there is no room for a 2nd cat. or on the 4th gen lt1 maros, do you just run a y pipe from headers to the cat then one single pipe to the muffler then two out?

Last edited by IDriveA95Z28; 01-21-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 01-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Administrator

True duals can be done.

There are photos of several systems in the "sticky" thread at the very top of the "Exhaust" forum topic listing.

I have a 3" cat bolted to the header collector on each side. The driver side cat is low, and would probably be a problem on a lowered car. My front is down no more than 1/2", and I don't have a problem.

You can then run pipes straight back on each side, and up over the axle. The trick to getting the driver side over the axle is a panhard rod/brace relocation kit from BMR. I just ran my pipes in front of the axle, with turndowns. Have also seen both pipes run under the axle, using flatter, oval tubing.

Others have run the driver side pipe to the DS tunnel, and run the driver side pipe right next to the passenger side pipe, and over the axle on the passenger side.

And true duals are not essential. At the 800 HP level, I was running a 3" Y-pipe, 3" cat in each branch of the Y-pipe. Y-pipe connected to a Mufflex catback, 4" intermediate pipe, over the passenger side of the axle in the stock location, to a 4" Flowmaster Series-10 crossflow race muffler with a single 4" out on the driver side. Mufflex also offers a dual out configuration. Replaced that with my true duals to save weight, and ther was no appreciable HP difference between the two systems, measured on a dyno.

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-21-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
True duals can be done.

There are photos of several systems in the "sticky" thread at the very top of the "Exhaust" forum topic listing.

I have a 3" cat bolted to the header collector on each side. The driver side cat is low, and would probably be a problem on a lowered car. My front is down no more than 1/2", and I don't have a problem.

You can then run pipes straight back on each side, and up over the axle. The trick to getting the driver side over the axle is a panhard rod/brace relocation kit from BMR. I just ran my pipes in front of the axle, with turndowns. Have also seen both pipes run under the axle, using flatter, oval tubing.

Others have run the driver side pipe to the DS tunnel, and run the driver side pipe right next to the passenger side pipe, and over the axle on the passenger side.

And true duals are not essential. At the 800 HP level, I was running a 3" Y-pipe, 3" cat in each branch of the Y-pipe. Y-pipe connected to a Mufflex catback, 4" intermediate pipe, over the passenger side of the axle in the stock location, to a 4" Flowmaster Series-10 crossflow race muffler with a single 4" out on the driver side. Mufflex also offers a dual out configuration. Replaced that with my true duals to save weight, and ther was no appreciable HP difference between the two systems, measured on a dyno.

Well how much of a sound difference would true duals make? I am not going for power increase. I just want a good sounding car.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Everyone's definition of "good sounding" is different. But in my opinion, you don't need true duals for good sound. The Magnaflow catbacks, the Borla adjustable catbacks sound good to me. But then I'm not into "loud". As noted in a post above, search the internet for videos showing the results of various exhaust systems on the LT1 4th Gens.

My thinking is if you are going to have a sound that is "deep, mean, and aggressive" .... you better have the HP to back it up.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Well I e-mailed Magnaflow last night asking why the delay from December to January,then to February 5 and low and behold they now have 12 in stock(Cat forward with cat and 3" y-pipe).E-bay was $447. and the Converter Shack is $335.45 shipped to my house.I placed my order tonight.I'm so jazzed.I really didn't need the cat but I could not get a 3" y-pipe(Ca. Legal) anywhere else so why not.Should be here in a few days.Hope this helps.The 3 inch y adds 10 hp.
Got my cat forward today and I must say Magnaflow advertises (and I remailed them for confirmation)that the cat forward is 3" y-pipe. Well it's not .It's 2 1/2 iches and collects to a 3" y right before the cat.The cat looks good though.I held it up to a light and I can see light through it(little dots but) light shines through a little.The cat back is 3 inch all the way to the muffler.Gotta work this weekend but I have a place that I use all the time and for $160.00 they will install this next week.Will also do the scan from GaryDoug
Scan9495.Hope this helps.(measurements taken with 6" utility caliper).
Old 02-02-2016, 04:52 AM

Yes, true duals can be done because it's what I have, and mine run under the rear axle. I've got long tube ceramic coated headers into two gutted cats into an x-pipe into two Race Bullet mufflers. The exhaust is 3" from the headers back, with 3.5" tips. I actually want it to be louder, even though all my friends tell me it's plenty loud and that they can hear my car over theirs (modded Mustangs) when we're all driving down the road.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Alright cool!