General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Angry starting problem

my car wont start... heres what the story is other forums cant seem to help me so if i dont get any help here ill just take it to a shop. one day i was coming to ared light and stopped the car cut off and would not start back up left me stranded in the road got it towed back home car would not start, couple days alter the car started and id rove it down the block and the mph started pulsating, so i parked it. came out the next day tried to start it would not start, so i bought an optispark still didnt fix the car would just crank and crank, replaced ignition coil it would act like it wanted to start then make a grunt out of engine?? what could this be im so confused and angry, just want to get my camaro going again its driving me insane
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Re: starting problem

it does this while trying to start
(not my video)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Administrator

What year? Any modifications to the engine?

At any point have you scanned it for codes - SES light appears to be staying on? Have you had the new ICM tested? What diagnostic led you to replace the Opti? Battery voltage is in the red, makes it harder to start.

And ditto on checking the fuel pressure.

Last edited by Injuneer; 08-30-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What year? Any modifications to the engine?

At any point have you scanned it for codes - SES light appears to be staying on? Have you had the new ICM tested? What diagnostic led you to replace the Opti? Battery voltage is in the red, makes it harder to start.

And ditto on checking the fuel pressure.
yes scanned it for codes and got the opti code so i replaced the opti now im not getting any codes. yeah my battery is at autozone right now being charged. its making a clanking noise which i believe is low battery? i changed the wires also leading to the spark plugs and ignition coil. im pretty sure im getting spark and im pretty sure im getting fuel because before when i was trying to start it i smelled a little hint of gas while i was trying to start it. it was very faint but i could still smell it for a couple seconds. brand new fuel pump brand new fuel filter brand new pcm brand new alternator brand new starter bradn new ignition coil.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM

as far as i know it has an aggresive tone to it so im guessing it has a cam and an aftermarket exhaust some engine work the previous owner said it had an ecu tune and an engine rebuild/heads etc
Old 08-30-2014, 06:44 PM

Report back when you have numbers for fuel pressure. It will require a test gauge attached to the fuel rail. Looks like you might have replaced some things without actually troubleshooting (or you left that info out). Old parts need to be proven bad and new ones can be bad out of the box (so, they may need to be proven good also).
Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Report back when you have numbers for fuel pressure. It will require a test gauge attached to the fuel rail. Looks like you might have replaced some things without actually troubleshooting (or you left that info out). Old parts need to be proven bad and new ones can be bad out of the box (so, they may need to be proven good also).
im glad im getting help from the master man well im getting 38-42, brand new fuel pump brand new fuel filter full tank of gas also. i might not have did TDC on my pulley.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Pulley??? TDC????

Are you indicating you may not have indexed the Opti correctly when you installed it?

If the video above is "not (your) video", who's is it? Is it even your car? If not your car, have you at any time replaced the ICM, since the video is the only place replacing the ICM is mentioned?

Since the video isn't yours, is your car even a 95?

What code did you get for the Opti?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:33 PM

no mines is a 94 camaro lt1 engine, found it on youtube, and no i have the GM icm right now, could that be my problem? i think either 16/32 but when i installed it i didnt get anymore codes. and yeah i red that you have to find TDC on the pulley place it at 12 o clock which i did. it will crank and its making a like soft grunt from somewhere in the engine. it wont start. anymore information just let me know. 152k miles

Last edited by warmeck; 08-31-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Administrator

All you need to do when you install the 94 Opti is make sure you align the splined shaft correctly with the odd tooth in the cam sprocket. Nothing needs to be at TDC. Go to shbox.com he has a photo showing you the correct alignment.

DTC 16 is the code for the Opti low resolution pulse signal, and the engine won't run with that code. DTC 32 is for the EGR.

Can't understand the part about the ICM..... You need to use punctuation, and it's not clear if you mean "no" or "know".
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
All you need to do when you install the 94 Opti is make sure you align the splined shaft correctly with the odd tooth in the cam sprocket. Nothing needs to be at TDC. Go to shbox.com he has a photo showing you the correct alignment.

DTC 16 is the code for the Opti low resolution pulse signal, and the engine won't run with that code. DTC 32 is for the EGR.

Can't understand the part about the ICM..... You need to use punctuation, and it's not clear if you mean "no" or "know".
i got code 16, Okay So i have a GM factory ICM,with 152k miles on my engine. I am wondering if i should replace this as it is very old with 152k miles?
Do you have any other idea of what could be wrong with my car for it not to start?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 AM

You said "pretty sure it is getting spark". Is it or isn't it? Have you run through any of the opti diagnosis steps (on my website or at top of forum)? Did you or did you not index the opti correctly? It seems your vague answers and/or lack of logical troubleshooting steps are preventing you from finding a solution.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Administrator

And, a faulty ICM may set codes, and the ICM can be tested, usually for free, at an auto parts store. Much cheaper than assuming you need a new one.

We've suggested numerous possible causes, but I don't see much to indicate you actually followed up and checked them out.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You said "pretty sure it is getting spark". Is it or isn't it? Have you run through any of the opti diagnosis steps (on my website or at top of forum)? Did you or did you not index the opti correctly? It seems your vague answers and/or lack of logical troubleshooting steps are preventing you from finding a solution.
im sorry i am not very clear, It is getting spark i checked, yes shoebox i went thru all your opti diagnosis with no avail, i did index the opti correctly i did not force it on.

Quick Reply: starting problem