General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

starting the car up after 5 months of sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:48 PM

starting the car up after 5 months of sitting?

Hey guys, putting a new trans in my car next weekend so i havent ran it in a while, but next week i wanna fire it back up, anything special i should do since its been sitting for 5 months or so? thanks! i put stabil in the gas 5 monhths ago by the way
Old 04-09-2004, 08:58 PM

Change the oil.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Unplug the injectors and the coil and turn the motor to prime the oil system first. And change the oil while you're at it.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Pasky
Change the oil.
yup.

All you need is an oil change. Fire it up! You may want to charge and test the battery first.

When I do my oil changes, I alway pre-fill the filter before I install it. That way as soon as it fires it gets oil, it doesnt have to wait for the filter to fill first.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Unplug the injectors and the coil and turn the motor to prime the oil system first. And change the oil while you're at it.
what he said
Old 04-10-2004, 01:28 AM

1. Change Oil
2. Pre-fill filter
3. Pull fuse for ignition
4. Turn over several times
5. Replace fuse
6. Fire the bitch up
Old 04-10-2004, 06:37 AM

hey guys, don't want to burst your bubble. It sounds real nice and proper to do all of the above, but here's something to think about. A lot of cars (both new and used) sit more then 5 months on dealers car lots. Guess what they do, they just start the darn things. Its only been 5 months, not 5 years. Just start the thing and change your oil ~after~ you run it for a hundred miles or so.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:55 AM

No its not 100% necessary, just precaution. I'd rather have something go for something stupid I did rather than little BS like this. Little things are just added insurance.
Beside's, since when does the dealership do anything right with any car? They don't do anything they don't think they have to because it costs them money. If anything goes wrong on the car its covered by warranty or the poor shmuck who bought the car. If its not out of their pocket, they don't give a f**k.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:04 AM

That and dealerships move cars more than you think. The send them to be cleaned, inspected, and people test drive them.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by magman
hey guys, don't want to burst your bubble. It sounds real nice and proper to do all of the above, but here's something to think about. A lot of cars (both new and used) sit more then 5 months on dealers car lots. Guess what they do, they just start the darn things. Its only been 5 months, not 5 years. Just start the thing and change your oil ~after~ you run it for a hundred miles or so.
Since when does a dealer actually care about the engine or how nasty the oil is? All they care about it the care running well enough so that the average person thinks the car is good.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:16 AM

If I've had an engine sit for a while I always pull the spark plugs, put 1/2 a teaspoon of marvel mystery oil in each and rotate the engine a few cycles by hand before firing it up. That insures the rings have a little lubrication on initial startup and breaks loose any surface rust that may be present in the upper portion of the cylinder.

Then take the advice given so far... oil change, fill oil filter, etc..

-Mindgame
Old 04-10-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
That and dealerships move cars more than you think. The send them to be cleaned, inspected, and people test drive them.
Not if it's an Fbody. I've seen Fbodies just sit in lots unmoved for months.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:36 PM

o yeah, i totally forgot to mention i was gonna change the plugs before i start it up anyways, but i changed the oil right when i got it and only put like 15 miles on it, so the oil has been in the engine for 5 months, tops, so idk, i was just gonna change the plugs, maybe do like that one guy was saying about putting some lube in the spark plug holes then crank over by hand? idk, sounds good enough to me! but i dont know nearly as much as most of the guys here, lol
Old 04-13-2004, 10:38 AM

Don't sweat it, just fire the thing up and don't worry about it.

I'm in the military and I deploy for months at a time. I get home and just start it ......I've NEVER had a problem (when I had my 92 Z28, 95 Z28, 85 Corvette and my 78 Z28 I still have). Guys I work with do the same thing wether it's a "family truckster" or a sports/muscle car.

When I get back from this trip (hopefully in a few months), I'll do the same with my 01 SS.

I wouldn't waste your time with recreational maintenance .
Old 04-13-2004, 10:44 AM

When I take my car out of storage after winter, I never change the oil before I start it. Just re-connect the battery and turn it on. I will change the oil afterwoards though.

Quick Reply: starting the car up after 5 months of sitting?