General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

SS hood inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:11 AM

SS hood inserts

Don't buy from Hawks Third Gen, or any of the other Chinaman crap out there. Go OEM, and here's why:

One word.....CRAP. It fits like garbage. When I contacted them about it, the jerk that handles sales swore my hood must be fake. So I bought an OEM insert and compared side by side AND took pictures to show the difference in measurements. Only after I threatened to completely out them on it, did someone higher up decide to intervene. Do not deal with the lower levels in customer service :doh: The mold for the part is obviously not right, and I dunno if Hawk's even cares.

Since I was forced to buy another OEM SS insert (sold my original one years ago) I thought a direct comparison would be in order. The OEM unit fits flawlessly. So any discrepancy in size will yield a sub-par fit. I also purchased a laser cut Yo-Fab stainless plate to go over the insert (my reasoning for wanting another insert) and it didn't fit worth a crap. Hawks salesmen made sure to point out that it was likely the culprit too, refusing to take responsibility. It fits perfectly to the OEM piece. He even specified OEM in the ad, and when I called him out on it, they went back and edited it. Here are the pics.

Standing on a level surface, OEM on the left (frontside pic):

Name:  Hawks2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  31.8 KB

Backside, OEM still on the left:

Name:  Hawks7.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  28.6 KB

Side view:

Name:  Hawks1.jpg
Size:  22.5 KB

OEM on the bottom, then the insert, then the China crap uptop:

Name:  Hawks3.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  34.8 KB

The insert into the OEM piece, perfect fit

Name:  Hawks4.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  37.6 KB

Insert in the Hawks piece....

Name:  Hawks5.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  38.0 KB

A close up of the screwed up mold.....

Name:  Hawks6.jpg
Size:  37.5 KB

Its not long enough, its not tall enough, its flimsy, It's curved wrong, it feels cheap, and it looks like crap overall.

Realistically, I'm aware that sometimes cheap china crap is just that, cheap crap. But don't deceive by putting OEM in your ad, then go back and change it after I mention it to you. Don't talk to me like I'm stupid or uneducated by suggesting my verified SLP SS has a fake hood, make no attempts to right the situation UNTIL I comment on the fact that I'm a very active member of the Camaro community and forums, then the owner wants to handle it after his goofball has scarred his company name. Google searching my name will yield 190,000+ hits. I contribute to the community, a-holes like this profit from it. True colors do come out, and its my job to give other community members my info.