General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

SLP no longer providing install services

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 AM

Hello all,
I recently purchased my 5th camaro....a 2002 SS w/ 35th Anniv. package. I found it in Philly and traded in my 94 z28 ragtop. This is a t-roof model, no problem. I worked a great deal, 15,400 w/ tax after trade-in. 20K miles and immaculate. This is def. my dream car. SO I got on the horn with SLP immediately and got the build #, 2538. I already knew what they confirmed, that this SS had the base SLP package. With the tax return on its way, I thought I would go with subframe connectors first, of course, then some long tube headers and the dual/dual exhaust, along with the basic SLP forced air additions. Problem is they no longer perform installations in house...due to the fact that they want to focus more on R&D. So I can have the exhaust done at any custom exhaust shop in the area. The problem is PCM tuning. I had a Hypertech Programmer for the 94, but I was disappointed with its abilities. Does anyone know of any credible shops in the NJ area that you might recommend? Thanks alot.

Regards and long live the Camaro,
A. Young
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 AM

Hello all,
I recently purchased my 5th camaro....a 2002 SS w/ 35th Anniv. package. I found it in Philly and traded in my 94 z28 ragtop. This is a t-roof model, no problem. I worked a great deal, 15,400 w/ tax after trade-in. 20K miles and immaculate. This is def. my dream car. SO I got on the horn with SLP immediately and got the build #, 2538. I already knew what they confirmed, that this SS had the base SLP package. With the tax return on its way, I thought I would go with subframe connectors first, of course, then some long tube headers and the dual/dual exhaust, along with the basic SLP forced air additions. Problem is they no longer perform installations in house...due to the fact that they want to focus more on R&D. So I can have the exhaust done at any custom exhaust shop in the area. The problem is PCM tuning. I had a Hypertech Programmer for the 94, but I was disappointed with its abilities. Does anyone know of any credible shops in the NJ area that you might recommend? Thanks alot.

Regards and long live the Camaro,
A. Young
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 AM

What pcm tuning needs to be done with just a slp ram air and exhaust?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM
SSMOKEDU

I had my SLP L/T's, Y-Pipe, and Cats installed at Jay Fischer Pontiac in Elmer, NJ.

They seem to do alot of F-body work. They did a very nice job on my car...they had a guy by the name of Abe, who was great.

I've heard different opinions about J.F., but I have no complaints

Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 AM

SLP is a great company with a great name BUT, there is no way that I would ever pay those riduculus prices. I think you'd be better off having someone else install everything.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses...I think I found someone

IDA Automotive up on Texas Rd. in Morganville, very close:

This is their website

They look pretty reasonable, and sound like they know their shieet. They are performance motorheads not just an exhaust diagnostic center.

A Chevy assistant service manager today told me that the mods I spoke of would be voiding a factory warranty, but I don't know if he is correct....they are kind of obnoxious at Pine Belt in Eatontown.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by suprslo99
SLP is a great company with a great name BUT, there is no way that I would ever pay those riduculus prices. I think you'd be better off having someone else install everything.
They tried to charge me $250 to put in their BOLT ON subframe connectors after they didnt fit cause they were machined wrong. They never had their Sh*t together with that install facility.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:07 PM

I've had some work done at slp in montreal these are the guys that put all the parts on the ws6 and ss.They don't know their A** from their eldow when it comes to working on the f bodys.

I just had to let it out.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by falchulk
What pcm tuning needs to be done with just a slp ram air and exhaust?

Actually a lot. My car went into the tune with 291rwhp and drove away with 308rwhp and all I had at the time was an SLP Lid/CAI and Flowmaster 80 series.

A little advice - Whoever does tune your car make sure that they can retune it (free of charge) in case the dealer wipes the PCM doing warranty work. It would be well worth getting a 'mini' dyno tune instead of a regular tune. I say this because after a knowledgable person records your car on a dyno then they can make adjustments for *your* car, not a stamped programming setup.

The programming master (see link in sig) will give me free tuning for *any* modifications I do to my car for the life of the car. Now if someone would just mail me a CAM and some Hoooker LTs for free I'd take him up on that

After gaining 17 rear wheel horsies from a tune (and feeling the awesome shift points and shift firmness in my A4) I would *highly* recommend it. Just make sure the guy knows what he's doing. Talk to previous customers etc...