General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Should I buy a 1995 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Should I buy a 1995 z28?

I have been debating buying a 95 z28. Been trying to research as much as possible to decide. I know you all might have a biased opinion, because you are owners or previous owners. But I am just curious if it is a good year to purchase? It has every available option for that year and auto transmission. Which is what I want anyway, bad knee. It has 18500 original miles on it, never even been driven in the rain. Always garage kept, looks like it is straight off the showroom floor. When the guy took it out of his garage to show me he apologized for it being so filthy. Any reason I shouldn't I buy it?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 PM

It has the vented opti-spark and the single catalytic converter, plus the mileage is very low .
What colour is it and if you don't mind me asking,how much does he want for it ?
Regards,Mark.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM

Sounds like a peach to me. But yeah, what does he want for it? I was watching a '95 Auto, Vert with 10K on it on e-Bay a month or so ago that won out for around $10K.

But here are a few things to consider:
1) Can you afford to keep gas in it?
2) Can you afford the insurance on it?
3) Are 'you' mechanically inclined with a decent set of tools or can you afford to pay a shop/dealer to work on it when things break/wear out? If you haven't done alot of research, IMO these cars are not fun to work on. i.e. spark plug changes are a pain in the **** depending on who you ask. But with patience, persistence, a decent set of tools, and a few extra bucks than the norm for parts, they can be tamed (so to speak).

So those are my top three questions for what it's worth. On the upside, it's a '95 which has vented Optispark, single cat, and OBD-1 computer as mentioned already. A4 is fine but a little weak if you're going to mod the engine and do some serious drag racing with it. But for a cool street car, I think you'll enjoy it if you get it. Good luck!

Last edited by euforia51; 06-14-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 PM

I am in Canada, where things are priced a bit higher. He wants $13,000 and won't budge. I have no plans to mod it, I just love the sweet rumbling sound and the kick it would give me to cruise around in it with the t-tops off. Which would only be in the summer, not going to turn it into a daily driver. He has put an after market exhaust and k&n cold air intake, as well as brake improvements on it. Exactly what, I'm not sure. Didn't pay attention, was too busy drooling. Even though it looks new I would still get it the once over to be positive. It's rated as the same gas milage as my truck so I would be paying for it no matter what I drove. I have the best possible insurance rates as well.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 PM

Talking

No, I'm not mechanically inclined. But, I have a good, honest, experience mechanic. I'm thinking as long as I don't beat it up and take care of it the same way he has............ fun fun funhttps://www.camaroz28.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 PM

And oh yeah, the color. Patriot red with the side mirrors etc the same color not black. Even some orange and yellow pin striping that is not bad, actually pretty good.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM

I say go for it,with that mileage it should run trouble free for many years to come.I know all about high prices,I live in the UK .
People will probably tell you that you could easily by an LS1 for that price,but at the end of the day the choice is yours.You won't be dissapointed with the performance of the LT1 motor,especially with an aftermarket exhaust and air filter
Regards,Mark.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:33 PM

The only thing stopping me is the price of gas, not so much now but 3 or 4 years from now. If I kept it in great shape and mileage low, I can't see it depreciating really badly. But, it might be worthless just cause of the gas. I think it is $1.55 a litre for premium. Which translates to about $5.90 a gallon. How is it in the UK?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 PM

About $9 a gallon .
Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 PM

YOUCH!!!!!! Guess I don't have anything to gripe about then. Thanks for the input, I'm leaning a little closer to buying it. You only live once, I could save the money and get hit by a bus in 10 years.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 PM

Mine is a daily driver but only sees about 5,000 miles a year.
These cars are alot of fun and fairly practical,given they have rear seats and a hatch.Gas mileage is pretty good on a run,mid-high 20's is no problem.
One of the best things about these cars is that most of the panels are plastic,so body rust isn't a problem.
One of the downsides of the LT1 model is that the headlights are sealed beam and don't give off much light in dipped beam mode,full beam is pretty good though.
The waterpumps generally last about 50,000 miles and the Opti-spark should last about double that as long as you don't drive it through deep water or the water pump leaks on it.
The spark plugs are a real pain to change if you want to do them yourself,but you could get your mechanic to do that.
As long as these cars are maintained properly they are very reliable,mine lives outside all it's life and never fails to start .

Last edited by MARKTHOMASBRAND; 06-14-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 PM

By the way,welcome to the board .
Old 06-14-2008, 09:29 PM

That's a nice car and all, but for that kind of money I'd be looking at LS1's and C4 vettes. Even though the mileage will be higher, it's worth it to have a better car.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Sometimes low miles isn't such a good thing. If the car just sat without proper maintenance, you're going to end up spending a lot of money replacing seals and gaskets, which can dry up and leak if the car isn't properly run on a regular basis. The tires also may be out of round or dry rotting if they are original. I found out the hard way - bought a relatively low mile 97 and I've been spending the past year fixing leaks, including a blown head gasket, oil leaks, hoses, belts, etc.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Sometimes low miles isn't such a good thing. If the car just sat without proper maintenance, you're going to end up spending a lot of money replacing seals and gaskets, which can dry up and leak if the car isn't properly run on a regular basis. The tires also may be out of round or dry rotting if they are original. I found out the hard way - bought a relatively low mile 97 and I've been spending the past year fixing leaks, including a blown head gasket, oil leaks, hoses, belts, etc.
So true.I hope you stay on posting.We all can learn a lot from experiences like this.Thanks.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 1995 z28?