General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Several things not working...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

Exclamation Several things not working...

I bought this car (94 LT1 - 4L60e) a few months ago... was blowing fuse 11 when I got it... found that problem and fixed it. The wiper worked sometimes then, and the a/c compressor won't come on.

I've diagnosed best I can the AC... if I check for voltage at the compressor there is none. Checked the relay pins. Voltage on two of them... jumpering them across (also got a new relay) still no voltage at the compressor plug (but the car acts (idles change) like the compressor is kicking in.

When starting the other day it acted like something got caught while cranking (noise).... since then the ABS INOP light has been on. Tried to diagnose but says I need a tester I don't have... this has also caused the cruise control to not work (I believe part of the built in safety)

I had to replace the ignition switch, since doing that the wipers have worked once. The washer works but not the wipers. Before replacing the ignition they would work sometimes... typically turning the key off and then back on the wipers would work.

This is a 94 firebird formula with a LT1 and 4L60E. The PO had the engine replaced prior to me buying it. I'm wondering if it's the same year engine and PCM and that's why these things aren't working. When you crank it to start it, it always sounds horrible and I am always relieved it starts. (Sounds like something is loose)

Any thoughts on any of this? I've scheduled a diagnosis appt with the GM dealer for next week (for the ABS and A/C) but thought hey... if someone else has been through this maybe I can save a little money. I've tried several things with no luck. (Will pull the steering wheel apart tomorrow to check that I didn't unplug the wiper when I replaced the ignition)

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice,

Robert

http://camarofirebirdparts.com
1994 Firebird Formula LT1 4L60E - 1988 TA GTA TPI 700R4 - 1986 Z28 soon to have LT1 4L60E - 1986 TA 350carb 700R4
1985 TA 350carb th400
1984 Z28 305 Carb 700R4

Last edited by rrwebster; 06-26-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM

So... the AC problem was a bad wire from the relay to the air compressor.

the ABS INOP light was from the two third brake light being burnt out...

I tried a new switch for the wipers... still nothing... then magically they bagan working again...with the old switch. this is a reoccuring problem.

I replaced the front oil seal and no more oil on the rear bumper and no adding a quart of oil every tank of gas.