General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Seafoamed the car *video*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Seafoamed the car *video*

185k miles on a 1993 M6.

I finally got around to hooking up my digital camera and found the video of the white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I seafoamed the car. Note that before the start of the video, I had already revved the engine for 30 seconds or so and the amount of smoke was probably 2 or 3 times what is in the video. The engine does idle a LOT smoother now.

http://lucasz.dyndns.org:81/seafoamed.mov

Note that I took it in for an oil change (lifetime oil change for $100 when you bring your own supplies rocks) about 700 miles later. I didn't get to see how the oil looked.

My O2 sensors are still good (I think). I did have to replace my EGR valve which is a PITA on the 93, but it was already on the way out. The symptom was pre-existing and just got bad enough to trigger the SES light about 500 miles after I seafoamed.

For those interested, this is the article I followed.
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

-Lucas
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 PM

Re: Seafoamed the car *video*

i seafoamed my car the other day, got a little smoke for about 10 seconds, then nothing. I followed the directions correctly, I was expecting more...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terran2k
i seafoamed my car the other day, got a little smoke for about 10 seconds, then nothing. I followed the directions correctly, I was expecting more...
didnt do much on my car either, but i only had 56K on mine when i seafoamed. it smoked a little, but nothin crazy. its higher mileage cars that it really works great on. my buddys 85 honda accord with like over 200K got a seafoam dose............holy crap, we had Green Berets landing from the smoke signal.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:37 PM

hhhmmmm, I'll have to look into that. I've got 140,000.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 PM

how possible is it to hydro lock the engine?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM

It's moderately possible if you stall the engine because of the fluid coming in (people on this board have done it). This operation is best done with 2 people where one can feed the fluid in the vacuum tube and the other can cut the engine off when it starts to stall.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by RocCityZman
It's moderately possible if you stall the engine because of the fluid coming in (people on this board have done it). This operation is best done with 2 people where one can feed the fluid in the vacuum tube and the other can cut the engine off when it starts to stall.

You are supposed to stall the engine. You are supposed to suck like 2/3'rds of a can into the brake booster vaccum line or the TB vaccum line, then increase the flow once about 2/3'rds is in so it stalls out. Then you let it sit for like 15 minutes and start it.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 PM

As hard as ive tried i could never stall an engine with this stuff. Even a carbed car.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hedzilla
You are supposed to stall the engine. You are supposed to suck like 2/3'rds of a can into the brake booster vaccum line or the TB vaccum line, then increase the flow once about 2/3'rds is in so it stalls out. Then you let it sit for like 15 minutes and start it.
I would recommend NOT stalling the engine with the seafoam, due to possible hydrolock(not good, can damage rods/pistons/BLOCKS), just use 2 people, feed it in relativly fast, the kill thge engine with the key
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 PM

I've had a bottle for 2 months now - I was gonna wait till I had new O2s ready in case they crapped out, but now I'm just afraid to use this stuff from all I've read.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM

you dont have much to worry about, ive done it numerous times to all the cars in the driveway by way of Dave89's way, i think thats the best
Old 07-16-2005, 01:24 AM

I need to go pick up a couple cans. I heard to use it in the intake, oil and gas tank. Is this right?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:03 PM

Intake, oil and fuel is what I used it on.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:09 PM

haha did mine today after reading this thread-

neighbors love me

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=seafoam_kingman109

(had to get off in 2nd car went sideways)

Last edited by kingman109; 07-17-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by LucasZ
185k miles on a 1993 M6.

I finally got around to hooking up my digital camera and found the video of the white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I seafoamed the car. Note that before the start of the video, I had already revved the engine for 30 seconds or so and the amount of smoke was probably 2 or 3 times what is in the video. The engine does idle a LOT smoother now.

http://lucasz.dyndns.org:81/seafoamed.mov

Note that I took it in for an oil change (lifetime oil change for $100 when you bring your own supplies rocks) about 700 miles later. I didn't get to see how the oil looked.

My O2 sensors are still good (I think). I did have to replace my EGR valve which is a PITA on the 93, but it was already on the way out. The symptom was pre-existing and just got bad enough to trigger the SES light about 500 miles after I seafoamed.

For those interested, this is the article I followed.
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

-Lucas
Didn't look to bad-kind of like someone casually smoking a cigarette.

Quick Reply: Seafoamed the car *video*