General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Seafoam and TBI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:07 PM

Seafoam and TBI

Can I just take of the air filter lid and put the seafoam right into the THROTTLE BODY openings. Its says to put it into the PCV valve or the brake booster. If I cant but it right into the TB, where are these other 2 spots located.

I'm doing this in a 1991 Camaro 305 TBI and a Chevy Truck V6 TBI.

Also will putting this in kill the engine. Or do I turn it off myself.

-Adam
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM

When using it as a top engine cleaner , pour it in fast enough to take the whole can and yet kill the engine when almost empty. Let the car sit for 20 to 30 min. and restart engine. (It WILL be hard to start) Rev a few times to dislodge the carbon and your engine should be a happy camper.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:52 PM

The bottle says to use only 1/3 of the can, not all of it.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 PM

Are you using it as a top engine cleaner ?? I'm used to using GM's top engine cleaner and the whole can is required. I've used seafoam as an additive before and it works pretty good. But a third of a can wouldn't be much for a carbon problem. You didn't state what you were using it for or what kind of problem you were trying to cure ?? ( More input=better info)
Old 04-09-2004, 08:37 AM

You can use Seafoam for the FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

I'm want to do the CARBURETOR/INJECTION cleaning

The instructions read:
With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

My question is, do i have to put it in the PCV valve/brake boster lines. Or can I just but it directly into the throttle body. This is for a 3rd gen TBI 305.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:13 PM

You could pour it directly into the TB but make sure you alternate equally both sides of the TB or you will only clean one side of the engine since it probably has a dual plane intake.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by mullettour
You could pour it directly into the TB but make sure you alternate equally both sides of the TB or you will only clean one side of the engine since it probably has a dual plane intake.
Yep its got 2 "intakes", I just wanted to make sure I could put it right in there.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:26 PM

The directions you stated are to clean the carbon fron the valves and piston tops , Hence the term "Top engine cleaner". To clean the injectors , the fluid needs to go "through"the injectors. So in order to go through the injectors , it would have to go in the tank or through a fuel injector cleaning machine. ( Or similar device) I hope your not getting too confused here , but this is what I do for a living , I'm a shop manager and I'm ASE certified , so please don't think that I'm blowing smoke at you , just trying to help out a fellow gearhead!!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:29 PM

Additional note , the directions you posted are for a "Tuned port" engine , yours is throttle body so through the throttle body is the way to pour it in.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the help 1BAD80-Z. I know the difference between clean the injectors and cleaning the "top" of the engines. And the "top" of the engine is what I'm looking to do. I'll do it though the gas tank later to clean the injectors. But it sounds like I can pour it right into the top of the Throttle Body (evenly in both sides).

Should I expect the engine to die after I put in it?

And how long should I wait to run the engine again?
The bottle says 5 minutes, but I've seen people say up to 30 minutes.