Rocking seat - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Rocking seat

Is there a fix for a rocking drivers seat.
Many bolt ons

2001 Navy Blue Metallic Corvette Coupe
LS1
6 speed manual trans
Fheiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Rocking seat

Check the studs welded on the floor panel that the seat frame bolts to. When I bought my car new, I shimmed the seat by putting washers under the seat frames. The washers caused the floor to crack around the studs where they were welded. I had to put new bolts through the floor sheet metal.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Check the studs welded on the floor panel that the seat frame bolts to. When I bought my car new, I shimmed the seat by putting washers under the seat frames. The washers caused the floor to crack around the studs where they were welded. I had to put new bolts through the floor sheet metal.
Thank Injuneer, I'll look at that but I think the problem is in the seat rail itself. I know that C5 Corvettes have had a similar problem and they had to be fixed with adding nylon bushings.
Many bolt ons

2001 Navy Blue Metallic Corvette Coupe
LS1
6 speed manual trans
Fheiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #4

Having the same issue floor bolts tight but get a slight pivot rocking going on feels like the inner framing of the seat is coming loose if that makes sense
Scrub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Did this ever get solved? I had the rocking driver's seat issue and decided to tear it apart until I found the problem.

I found the problem.

The rails that slide the seat forwards and backwards have white nylon spacer blocks in them. they are molded rectangular parts, NOT washers like on the C5 Corvette.

Needless to say, they have begun to disintegrate. The initial give-away was after removing the seat there was ground up broken white plastic bits on the carpet.

To fix the issue I'm going to need to replace these parts, and it's not going to be as simple as going to the hardware store like it was the C5.

Now the million dollar question.... Where can I get them?

Click the image to open in full size.
View signature picture HERE Current Mods: SLP Ultra-Z Ramair Hood, SS Spoiler, Headers, STB, SFCs, Clutch, 160 T-Stat, 1LE swaybars, ES bushings, ZR1 Wheels, 285 Firehawk Tires, White Gauges, Hurst billet plus Shifter, Borla Catback, QTP E-Cutout, Tuned PCM, !CAGS, TB Airfoil, MSD Blaster coil, Taylor Wires, CST Leather Interior, Bose/Soundstream Audio
TraceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

The OEM nylon slides are made from unobtainium.

I found a set of kitchen drawer and cabinet child-locks that have nice nylon parts and used them to make a set of slides.

I used a grinder, sandpaper and a dremel to shape them.

These next two pictures show them installed onto the rail.

Here you can see the new slides between the installed rail and track.

Taking the seat track apart to this degree was challenging. Removing the rail from the track requires a vice, hammer and large punch to bend the stops flat.

Putting it back together was more challenging yet. The bleeding on my hands has stopped, and no more rocking seat!

Good luck!
Tracez
View signature picture HERE Current Mods: SLP Ultra-Z Ramair Hood, SS Spoiler, Headers, STB, SFCs, Clutch, 160 T-Stat, 1LE swaybars, ES bushings, ZR1 Wheels, 285 Firehawk Tires, White Gauges, Hurst billet plus Shifter, Borla Catback, QTP E-Cutout, Tuned PCM, !CAGS, TB Airfoil, MSD Blaster coil, Taylor Wires, CST Leather Interior, Bose/Soundstream Audio

Last edited by TraceZ; 05-14-2016 at 10:29 PM.
TraceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #7

This is wonderful.Great post.Finally a solution.
1993 Z28.Auto,hardtop,no power cloth seats, power windows,cruise,air.40,838mi. NGK plats. GM wires. KN intake ,TB bypass.1LE elbow. ICM coil mod.Red.:Moog track arm.Gu5.3380LBS.Air foil.Opti-Shield.Magnaflow y-pipe, cat and catback.Forget your age,live your life.
Fatdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread