General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

!research Parts Before Youy Buy Them!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM

! Research Parts Before You Buy Them !

I've learned a hard and expensive lesson. Last year, about this time. I was still fairly new to the LS1 world. I sprung for a set of the 'X' brand headers, bought mainly for, as I know now, the coating and the name (which isn't much either).

I did not research properly and as I recently found out, that 'X' Brand of headers maxxes out at about 400hp w/ a cam. Since I do not see a clear end to my modding madness, I will have to spend another $1200 for a BETTER set of headers to get the most out of my future parts.

!PLEASE! Newbs especially!.....READ UP BEFORE YOU BUY! -I was there and it wasn't too long ago! It wastes YOUR hard earned cash, and YOUR time (or other's time/$$$) to install the part!

I also stressed this to a friend of mine back home who recently purchased a BEAUTIFUL 2002 35th Ani SS. He's already starting to think about wasting his money.

-Rich

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 01-02-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 AM

Re: !research Parts Before Youy Buy Them!

what kind of LT headers max out at 400hp?

i think there are PLENTY of guys running 400+hp with mids and LTs....even the cheap ones.

but i completely agree....RESEARCH!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 AM

The STreet Legal ones....Ahem -think about it. I don't want to publicly bash thir product. I've got the LT's... Look it up on the other Forum. I've got a thread on there asking about it. Although it's not the first time I've heard it.

I'm about 120% sold on QTP lt's w/ the dual cutout Y.... when ever I get the EXTRA $1200 to throw around....

I'm a little irritated right now....
Old 01-02-2006, 10:07 AM

I over research the product before I buy, it has to be used by many people and have a good reputation, if a set of headers is being sold by one company for 300 and another set is 700, there is a reason for it. I usually end up buying the best product out at the time just so I don't run into future hassles. This is good advice though, some people end up ordering the wrong stuff to.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM

i learned the hard way with a used intake, so just like you i would make the same mistake. hope everything works out for you. good luck
Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 AM

Good advice for those beginning their mods., I'm sure we have all made this mistake at least once. I know I have several boxes of brand new parts sitting around collecting dust.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
I over research the product before I buy, it has to be used by many people and have a good reputation, if a set of headers is being sold by one company for 300 and another set is 700, there is a reason for it. I usually end up buying the best product out at the time just so I don't run into future hassles. This is good advice though, some people end up ordering the wrong stuff to.

I over research also, but it'll take me about 6-8mo. before I'm sold on something. I bought the whole kit, LT's cats and y-pipe w/ the install kit for $1200.

The headers are good, don't get me wrong. They just aren't the best that I could have bought for the same $$ or even less...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 PM

What size are the header tubes?

Ken R.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:05 PM

When i first bought my f-body, i would do 3hrs of research on here before even buying spark plugs, i learned my lesson from the past.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:13 PM

im also curious as to what size they are. i'm sure they arent less than 1 3/4" if they are LT's. i'm no expert in the matter but i do know ive seen people pushing alot more than 400hp n/a through even the cheapest 1 3/4 LT's and thats even with lt1's. im sure stepping up to 1 7/8" headers will show some slight gain but its not as bad as you make it out to be (atleast for a street vehicle).
Old 01-02-2006, 06:26 PM

but i do agree. do alot of research.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 93black-ta
im also curious as to what size they are. i'm sure they arent less than 1 3/4" if they are LT's. i'm no expert in the matter but i do know ive seen people pushing alot more than 400hp n/a through even the cheapest 1 3/4 LT's and thats even with lt1's. i'm sure stepping up to 1 7/8" headers will show some slight gain but its not as bad as you make it out to be (atleast for a street vehicle).
Just recently I was reading on a 'Vette board and they were discussing 1-7/8" headers for the LS7 Z06. The concensus seemed to be that 1-3/4" primaries were enough even for the 427 cu.in. LS7! Someone even said that Nascar only runs headers that big on the bigger tracks (higher speed) but even they stick with 1-3/4" on short tracks? Apparently the HP gains are very minimal with 1-7/8" primaries, while there will be a noticable loss of low end torque (really not worth the cost of such large tube headers ).

I don't know which brand Bayer is referring to that he currently has, but I think I read that SLP's are not great for much beyond ~400 HP?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 AM

Primaries are 1" 3/4 into a 3" collector. I will get a cam by the end of the year and the performance gains are more noticeable w/ a cam. (As far as switching headers)
Old 01-03-2006, 06:37 AM

because one guy on another board says he gained from switching...you're sold on the idea??

wasn't the point of this to do research...not to take on person's experience as gospel??

not trying to argue...but really.

how much do you think you're really gonna pick up? 5hp?

probably most of the fastest bolt on, cam only, h/c and supercharged LS1s in the country are running similar headers to yours...

you're not gonna pick up a magical 20hp on a cammed engine with a change from one LT type to another
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 AM

I see what your saying. I jump the gun a little easy, tho... I've heard nothing but negativity about them since I bought them. They sound good, but to be honest, after the bolt on, I expected a little more.

Go back to the link I gave you. THere's more posts there. Even the individual that tuned my car is switching.

Quote.. which hits it on the head for me. They're better than stock, MIDs, and un-tuned headers for power, but the list of limitations for X-Brand LT's is way longer the list of advantages.

I'm not really enthused about a saggy exh sys either.

Once I spend that much for parts and find out that they aren't that great, it irritates me.

Like I've said already......"Since I don't know when this project will end, I will have to spend another $1200 for a BETTER set of headers to get the most out of my future parts.

I'll let that other post simmer and see what else I pick up..

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 01-03-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !research Parts Before Youy Buy Them!