General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Replacing power window motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Replacing power window motor

I have read the instructions by Shoebox on how to replace the motor, but I still have a few questions. I am assuming the window must be up to perform the necessary tasks. My window is currently down, will it manually go up once I have access to it? Although it is not mentioned, I should grease the regulator while I have access to it, using some lithium grease? Any other items I should know? First time attempting this.
Side note. Just got my car back after having a new Strange S60 Rear put in, had about 450 miles on the new rear and was going to have the fluid changed when the window stopped working. But I love the new rear.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Replacing power window motor

You should be able to lift the window glass by hand once the door is opened up.

I'm jealous of your S60. That's on my wish list.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Re: Replacing power window motor

Originally Posted by kozmosis
I have read the instructions by Shoebox on how to replace the motor, but I still have a few questions. I am assuming the window must be up to perform the necessary tasks. My window is currently down, will it manually go up once I have access to it? Although it is not mentioned, I should grease the regulator while I have access to it, using some lithium grease? Any other items I should know? First time attempting this.
Side note. Just got my car back after having a new Strange S60 Rear put in, had about 450 miles on the new rear and was going to have the fluid changed when the window stopped working. But I love the new rear.
Originally Posted by shbox.com window motor instructions
Remember that the window motor must overcome any mechanical resistance in the window regulator mechanism (that scissors looking thing ;-) ), so it is a good idea to make sure the guides are clean and well lubricated (lithium or silicone grease will do fine). Also inspect for any broken or loose rollers.
This includes anything else you want to grease. Lots of first timers have used the instructions with success. The window being up keeps it out of harms way and gives you more room to work.