General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Relocated the coil on 94 Z28

Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 AM

Relocated the coil on 94 Z28

I recently purchased a MSD coil for my 94 Z28. I was having issues with the MAF hitting the coil, and not sitting flush. The problem was even worse after I installed my K&N CAI. At one point after fiddling with the car, I closed the hood and accidentally knocked the MAF and pulled the harness out of the coil, breaking the clip, AND cracking the silicone epoxy in the coil. Car studdered and shut off. I then had a CEL come on and the car gave me an issue to start, and then finally did.

I decided to go ahead and remote mount the coil off the head, and space out the ICM, similar to the mod shoebox did.

The MSD coil does not fit into the stock location, they sell these really, really crappy brackets and screws that don't even thread properly to mount it. Instead of using that crap *** set up, I removed the coil and ICM bracket off the head. I took apart the two pieces of the bracket, and tossed aside the bottom piece. You should now have just the upper portion that has to 2 studs sort of attached to ICM. I used some washers to space the ICM off the head, and enough to clear the two protruding studs.

Then I used the brackets MSD supplied with some screws i had from work, and made them face the left side fender, as oppose to the front of the car. By doing this I not only moved the coil off of the hot head, I put it in an area that has more space, and no longer conflicts with the MAF or CAI.

Name:  CoilRelocation.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  52.7 KB

Last edited by LsX iN fOx; 02-07-2010 at 01:49 AM.