General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rebuilding my 94 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Rebuilding my 94 Camaro

This is such a long story about how it happened so i won't get into that. Lets just say everything that could've gone wrong went wrong and it was no fault of mine even though i was driving.

Basically I need to get the apron off another camaro, new hood, new front clip, transmission, windshield. Rest of the car is fine. It has centimental value, should i part it out though, or do you guys think this can be brought back to life? I had a guy straightening it with a ten tonne puller but he couldn't line up the dimensions good enough and says he'd need a twenty or a thirty tonne. Would love to restore this back to the way it was, it should've never been like this in the first place.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Re: Rebuilding my 94 Camaro

if it has sentimental value, go for it
Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 PM

hard to tell with just two pics... The biggest problem is since these cars are unibody it may have twisted the subframe. Anything can be fixed for enough money but if you can find another camaro 93-97 and a GOOD collision repair shop that can check/straighten frames for unibody cars that would be your best bet.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 PM

thank you for the information guys.

I have had a few guys look at it and i'm pretty sure the frame wasn't bent. If it had been just a little harder it would've. Here's a picture from the front. I have some more recent ones with the skin all off of it but they haven't been scanned yet so i'll try and get those up soon.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Good news guys, as of last year (I should've posted then) i've gotten all the body damage fixed and new body pieces ready to install. Took lots of money and saving saving saving, hard work. Had everything restored to its exact dimensions.

The big thing now is the 4L60E repair. Nothing works on it now, and its already been rebuilt, I posted about it in another thread https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...65#post5902565

In that post I was wondering if I would just have problems with another used 4L60E, but that thread describes the problems I've had with it. I also ask a question about a 4L80E.

But I thought I should update you guys for sure on this progress, i'll post some new pictures soon too.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Fast forward

Got a shop to completely (like completely) rebuild the transmission. We drove it for about 50 miles and it started acting like it was running out of gas or sputtering with lots of gas in the tank.

We're also trying to figure out how to hook the airbags back up, do you have to replace all airbag sensors or just the one in front of the rad?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Here's a progress update. Can't believe its been this long, but I need your guys help.

I've had to rebuild the transmission again, the car is pushing 320,000km. I have the rad, starter, and optispark done.

I've actually gone through 1 optispark in less than a year, think I got it wet. Now on a new one and now this shop is sayin there is something wrong with cylinder 7 or something, he's saying its in need of an engine rebuild.

I've had everything looked at and inspected, if I went ahead with an engine rebuild, what else should I be worrying about at 320,000k? Rear differential? I've had suspension work done already?

These are the recent things done, so if anythings missing and may go soon you guys could tell me whether its better to rebuild or go for another gen IV maybe?

Transmission rebuilt twice, first time was a bad job and it was running hot, its running properly now.

Optispark done twice, 1st time I submerged my whole front end underwater by accident.

Radiator

Starter

Spark plugs and wires

some kind of coil was done recently that apparently rodents chewed through, according to the shop

I had it completely aircared for BC Aircare. So the car passes aircare. Had all sorts of emissions stuff done.

Water Pump was done as well.

Basically if I do the engine, would it be any difference in cost than if I go buy another Camaro for 5,000 or something with 190,000km? Won't I just end up with the same problems in a few years?

I don't know but any help will be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to get my beauty that still needs to be painted versus an already finished model as I don't like to leave projects unfinished, and this baby is like my Starship Enterprise I need her. Y'know what I mean?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 AM

Thumbs down Re: Rebuilding my 94 Camaro

The rest of the vehicle IS NOT FINE, from the looks of the cocked front wheel, I will be dollars to doughnuts that the shock towers do not line up anymore, and the firewall has a few wrinkles in it.

SteveC