General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rear Window Molding

Old 05-13-2003, 12:59 PM

Rear Window Molding

I would like to replace the trim molding around the base of my rear window. Can this be done without taking the glass out? I really dont want to replace the glass but removing it will most likely break it. Just curious if anyone has done this...
-Tim
Old 05-13-2003, 01:02 PM

I am curious to, mine looks like total a$$ right now, the dealer tried to repair under warranty with that crap adhesive, and it got worse when I was down in Florida, seems like the heat melted the adhesive, anyways I am curious on this topic also...

TTT
Old 05-13-2003, 10:55 PM

If you are talking about the "window lace" that goes around the edge of the back window they make a replacement for that. It's GM part #10433037. I got my new one from GMpartsdirect.com for $25.31 shipped. It comes with adhesive already on the strip.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 PM

Oh, and I live in Florida and so far the heat hasn't done a thing to the new rubber adhesive.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 AM

This is one of those serious GM (General Mistakes) I have seen cars in 02' come of the truck from GM with this problem allready begining. Its BS, i should not go to my local GM dealer and find cars that are almost brand new with a little white t marking a problem on them. I usually see camaros with the top have plain out removed, and firbirds with the corner peice joining the top and bottom window lace looking like real garbage. Almost like they let a 3 year old blind kid try to fix it. This seriously should be a GM quality recall and should not run the owner 24.00 to fix.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:59 PM

does this weatherstrip have the L shaped plastic elbow piece that fits on the corner of the rear glass? one of mine is broke and would like to fix it
Old 05-14-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Terran2k
does this weatherstrip have the L shaped plastic elbow piece that fits on the corner of the rear glass? one of mine is broke and would like to fix it
The lace is now a new design and is one piece. No separate "L" piece.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 PM

good, i disliked that "L" piece
Old 05-14-2003, 07:59 PM

Old 05-14-2003, 10:09 PM

Question

Does installing the new strip require anything special? Do you have to remove the window from the hatch or is it a simple method? One more question... I only tore the top half off, right before the L so does it look like the replacement strip can be cut and installed??

Thanks,
daniel
Old 05-14-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by ponyackn
Does installing the new strip require anything special? Do you have to remove the window from the hatch or is it a simple method? One more question... I only tore the top half off, right before the L so does it look like the replacement strip can be cut and installed??

Thanks,
daniel
You don't want to cut it or you would ruin half the purpose of it being one piece.

It is just a beauty part. It does no sealing and the window does not have to come off. Pry the old lace off and clean everything up well before you put the new one on.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 PM

Great post!

Now of course you've brought this back to my attention as being a problem (where I have successfully been ignoring it for years )
I guess I should order the part and get it fixed....
Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM

Re: Rear Window Molding

Originally Posted by shoebox
You don't want to cut it or you would ruin half the purpose of it being one piece.

It is just a beauty part. It does no sealing and the window does not have to come off. Pry the old lace off and clean everything up well before you put the new one on.
Sorry to drag up an ancient post, but I've had this issue with mine as well. My '96 was originally a California/Arizona car before I bought it, so it likely saw plenty of heat. Anyway, it has oozed adhesive from the lower front corners of the rear hatch/trim interface since I've had it. I always just wiped it away.

Well, lately it has been bothering me, and in a somewhat ill-advised or poorly planned bit of frustration the other day, I started to cut it off, thinking I did not have the new one piece lace that is supposed to fix the problem. I had done a brief search and found a couple of guys who had removed it altogether, and thought that might look sharp. So I started removing, but only got part of it cut off. I realize that I have the single piece lace already (further searching for threads on the topic seems to confirm it; looks like '95-'96 is when the change was made ). Now I'm really pissed at myself, because a) I'm having trouble getting if off; seems to be harder than what has been described about removing the multi-piece lace, and b) I'm not sure I will like the no-trim look against my white car (the gap between the glass and the roof piece is more noticable than it would be on a black car, I think). I should have just dealt with a little oozing now and then; instead I've made more work for myself, when I should be dealing with the plug changes, oil leaks, etc. I have to do to this car.

Has anyone removed the one piece before? It seems to really be on there pretty tightly, so I've been cutting and removing in sections (and getting very sticky hands in the process). Will I have to remove any of the inner trim pieces from inside the hatch to get the rest off? I have the factory service manual for the car, but it seems to reference how to install the trim if you have the glass off the car, which I REALLY hope I don't have to do. I thought this would be a simple cut/pry off the old and attach the new, but apparently the newer 1 piece design is a bit more firmly attached... Like I said, I'd done a little bit of searching, but obviously I need to plan/research a little more carefully before I start half-heartedly messing with things that aren't so bad to begin with...

Any advice. Shoebox? Anyone else who's messed with this?

EDIT: I know this should be in general tech, not LT1 tech, but it's an old thread and that's where it was originally. If a mod wants to move it, that's cool with me.

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 04-18-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Just pry the old one off. Mine just pulled off without much trouble. I guess most of the old glue had already oozed out. It comes off from the outside without removing the glass.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 PM

Just to be clear on this (btw I have read through many posts on this)

The existing seal/weather strip (multiple pieces) which surrounds the entire hatch has nothing to do with actually sealing the glass? How does the glass seal then? Does this new one piece lace cover the entire hatch surrround? Thanks for making this crystal clear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Window Molding