General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

rear bumper and tail light removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:50 AM

rear bumper and tail light removal

can anyone here send me a manual on how to remove the tail lights and the rear bumper? on a 95 camaro
Old 05-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Re: rear bumper and tail light removal

Tail lights

Open the hatch. Pull back the carpet to expose the bolts. There are some bigger hand turned wing nuts. There's two of those per light, so 4 total. Take those off, then the tail lights just pull out. Disconnect the wiring.

There's some more 10mm bolts near the plastic wing nuts holding the "CAMARO" panel on. Once you have the lights out, unbolt these to take that panel off so you can get the bumper off.

Bumper

There's 4 bolts inside holding the bumper to the quarter panel, and another 2 (or 4, don't remember) holding it on at the lip where the wheel well is. The 4 bolts on the inside (2 per side) are down near the red signals that are in the bumper. You have to remove the plastic hatch pieces that cover the subwoofer, and spare tire. Remove the subwoofer (it's quite easy and straight forward, just unbolt it), and the spare tire. Now you should see the 2 bolts per side that are down a little further near the red signals in the bumper. Unbolt all 4 of them. Now take the screws out that are in the lip/wheel well area. They are in plain sight, and near where the plastic bumper stops, and metal starts. Now all that's left is the plastic push in holder type things that are on the top of the bumper, and under where the "CAMARO" panel would be. Take those off. Now to actually pull the bumper off you need to pull one side away from the quarter panel so the 2 bolts will come out. Then pull the other side so both sides are free. Helps to have two people try and get this off at one time.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:24 AM

Hi there,
Removing the tail-lights is a quick straightforward job,simply pull away the carpet in the trunk directly behind the lights.You will then find some plastic wing-nuts,unscrew these and the light cluster will pull away from the car.Then just disconnect the bulb holders and the lamp unit is free from the car.Can't help with the rear bumper as have never done that job.
Maybe you could post that question in the appearance mods forum which deals with body-work stuff,best of luck,Mark.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:30 AM

p.s When I started to answer the question nobody else had replied,but obviously somebody else beat me to it,I put this down to my appallingy slow typing skills!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all those who replied, and I would also like to ask another question. How do I remove the panel that has the words CAMARO on it?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by some_punk
Thanks for all those who replied, and I would also like to ask another question. How do I remove the panel that has the words CAMARO on it?
It's in the first reply.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM

To bring this thread back up...I've got all the bolts out, pus-pins out and everything mentioned, unbolted. I STILL can't get the bumper off. It seems stuck or like something is holding it from the middle of the bumper. Anybody have any tips? I dont want to damage the cover, since I want to just repaint it and remove the rear support.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Shoebox has the diagram from the factory manual.

http://shbox.com/1/rear_bumper_camaro.jpg
Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks Fred
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM

All the bolts/push-pins in the picture, I've got removed and that thing is still stuck on there. Any tips?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I got the rear bumper cover off my Formula with no problems, but its a different setup.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Yep, just got it off there. The studs were giving me problems. How do I remove that rear crash bar? Is that the 4 bolts, on each side?