General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rattling Convertibles??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM

Rattling Convertibles??

Anybody else having any annoying rattles coming from their convertible? Mine seems to be coming from the rear passenger side and it is driving me INSANE! Has anyone found a way to make it stop??
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 PM

All of our cars rattle insanely, not just the drop-tops.

Some extra padding in the dash can work wonders, or so I hear- mine is under construction right now.

Take a friend on a drive with you and have him locate the trouble spot. Fix accordingly.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:47 PM

I had the speaker wire rattling against the panel, in the rear. it drove me nuts, till I found it.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:17 PM

Actually my t top 99 is very good for rattling..I do a few tricks which work in every car..like fastening all the seat belts when noone is sitting in them.Securing and going thru car for stuff that can rattle..wheel key in glovebox,loose stuff in truck or hatch..etc.

Also have found and when have had say back end of car apart found wires that were banging put foam under them or wiretired loose stuff under the dash etc.

I also found good subframe connectors helped my 99 t top and shock tower brace I think helped a bit too.I use kenny brown double diamond.

I put in bmr in my 96 vert and wish I had went with double diamond again.I don't think the bmr worked all that great although better than nothing.My vert is pretty rattle free
with the top down.Top up still pretty annoying.I haven't put in shock tower brace that I have lying around..its bmr also but might be selling it and going with hotchkis one thats what I had on my past 97 and current 99 ta.

Also think adjustable shocks and not too stiff type springs might help some.Can soften ride a bit with adjustables as long as you don't have too low or too stiff springs.

I get a rattle from my plastic triangle thing on top near back seat.
I get a dash rattle and a dash squeak.

I am not sure you can get one of these verts to be totally quiet.They do make progress with structural stuff in the verts and betting the new c6 is very good in fact bet the c5 is not too bad and better than our f bodies.

I just turn up the stereo and use my heater blower motor for a bit of noise masking.I have horrible horrible roads and another trick is to take some bad parts fast but might not be the best for the suspension but oh well...less time for the noise to be annoying when going over it faster.Its a theory anyway.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 PM

I don't have a rattle as much as a creaking noise from mine, but after 17 years, I kind of expect it. My top is one of the few things I didn't replace/rebuild when I 'restored' my car. I keep it down most of the time so I don't notice it. The few times its up the radio takes care of the little noises our cars make.....
Old 04-24-2004, 12:17 AM

Yea mine is this horrible SQUEAKY or creaking type of noise. It is more high pitched then your normal rattle. I am going to have to look into this very soon.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Re: Rattling Convertibles??

I get rattles all over the place. ONe that i solved was my Ebrake button. THe button was rattling up and down at certain rpm, added a thick glob of grease and it fixed that. Now to de-rattlefy the dashboard.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
All of our cars rattle insanely, not just the drop-tops.
I have never heard a rattle in my 94 T-top, maybe I got lucky
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 AM

I have a bad rattle in my center console. I need to take it apart and figure it out. I also have a rattle coming from the hatch area, I think it might be the spare tire. There's also a squeak coming from the rear seat passenger area, but it might be due to the extra wires I have running behind that panel for my system. I had some BMR subframe connectors welded on. They really do work, they completely elimnated my t-top rattles and the center console doesn't rattle on the expansion joints in my driveway.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:21 PM

In my car the subwoofer in the trunk rattles the trunk so i put a towel in between the trunk and the bottom part where it latches and no more rattle.... but i still have something rattling above my left exhaust tip. I have not been able to locate it but someday i will