General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rattle noise coming from....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Rattle noise coming from....

I got 93z, and I have some rattling coming from my rear drivers side quarter panel. It sounds like its close to the rear speaker maybe little bit more backwards. I only hear it when I go over small bumps in the road. I looked for anything that could be loose the other day in that area but I could not find anything. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this and what should I look at. Much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 PM

Re: Rattle noise coming from....

It is probably the EVAP Canister or related components located under the inner fender well plastic cover. Remove the drivers side rear tire, and that cover comes off with just removing a couple of fasteners, and then you can see everything.

One of the premium members here named Shbox has a website that is awesome with tons of info and drawings of the F Body Z28's. Go to shbox.com and then to "Diagrams/Drawings Exploded Views". Then go down to Items #21 and #22 for drawings related to the EVAP system.

This is drawings of whats under that fender well (EVAP Components)
http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Rattle noise coming from....-100_2982.jpg   Rattle noise coming from....-100_2987.jpg  

Last edited by gaedbo; 08-24-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 AM

It could also be the latch for the rear seat. I wrapped some electrical tape around the pin so the latch would fit tighter.

-Greg
Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by alex-z28
I got 93z, and I have some rattling coming from my rear drivers side quarter panel. It sounds like its close to the rear speaker maybe little bit more backwards. I only hear it when I go over small bumps in the road. I looked for anything that could be loose the other day in that area but I could not find anything. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this and what should I look at. Much appreciated.
Can you narrow it down to inside or outside the passenger compartment? Is it a metallic sound or non-metallic?

Have you checked the shock bushings?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
It is probably the EVAP Canister or related components located under the inner fender well plastic cover. Remove the drivers side rear tire, and that cover comes off with just removing a couple of fasteners, and then you can see everything.

One of the premium members here named Shbox has a website that is awesome with tons of info and drawings of the F Body Z28's. Go to shbox.com and then to "Diagrams/Drawings Exploded Views". Then go down to Items #21 and #22 for drawings related to the EVAP system.

This is drawings of whats under that fender well (EVAP Components)
http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg
Thanks, that's very informative post. No, I didn't check that. I will do that first thing tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 94_6speedZ
It could also be the latch for the rear seat. I wrapped some electrical tape around the pin so the latch would fit tighter.

-Greg
Yeah, I thought that too. I placed a small rubber hose over the pin so its tight now, but its not that. I should have mentioned that rattle was not there before. I noticed that this year.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Can you narrow it down to inside or outside the passenger compartment? Is it a metallic sound or non-metallic?

Have you checked the shock bushings?
Its definitely metal to metal. I noticed it inside the car, like its right inside the rear drivers side quarter panel. I checked the shock bushings they were good.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:13 PM

Noises travel weird in these cars.Did you check the spare tire and jack?Maybe a screwdriver was left behind around a speaker install?Feel under the spare as well for a wrench or something.Hope this helps.Also the rear hatch can have some issues.Pop the rear and check those little black things that the hatch rests on for height and put a little vasoline on each black stop thing.I had to adjust the hatch lock downwards a little cause the hatch wasn't tight when closed.My02.(That was with my old Formula).
Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Noises travel weird in these cars.Did you check the spare tire and jack?Maybe a screwdriver was left behind around a speaker install?Feel under the spare as well for a wrench or something.Hope this helps.Also the rear hatch can have some issues.Pop the rear and check those little black things that the hatch rests on for height and put a little vasoline on each black stop thing.I had to adjust the hatch lock downwards a little cause the hatch wasn't tight when closed.My02.(That was with my old Formula).
so i checked evap canister, and surrounding area, i didn't find anything loose. Its not spare tire or jack. Its defiantly coming from drivers side. I did change rear hatch struts, i will check that. i did have shop remove stock sub box and install amp near by and subs years ago i will go through that see if anything got loose. Thank you.