General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Random stalling and refusal to restart?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Random stalling and refusal to restart?

Not sure if anyone else had this problem or not, but I can't seem to find any information online.
I have a 1981 Berlinetta Camaro. It came with the 229 v-6. The car ran and drove alright, I replaced plugs/wires/distributor cap/fuel pump when I first got the car. A couple weeks ago, the car would randomly decide to stall. When I say random, I mean I'd be cruising down the road and the engine would shut down. Not at idle, not when I stepped on the gas, and I'd have no forewarning. Then, it would refuse to restart. When I let it sit for awhile, the car would start right back up.
I do have a computer in the vehicle, and I do have a check engine light on, which leads me to believe it may have to do with the TPS or MAP sensors.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:58 PM

Re: Random stalling and refusal to restart?

First,I would change the fuel filter and see if that helps.If that doesn't help,then it's probably your external fuel pump (at the engine) and you are lucky it's not in the gas tank like mine and is quite reasonable to replace.One way to check if the fuel pump or fuel lines are clogged is when this happens again pour a little gas in the carb.when it dies and if the car starts then shuts off then it's fuel related.If that doesn't help then it could be the float in the carb. full of gas and not buoyant like it's suppose to be.I had a 1979 firebird many moons ago but forgot a lot of stuff but I remember having the carb rebuilt.Hope this helps.And check for leaks along the fuel lines as these old hoses go south with age.My02.